1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People not getting it that you're LGBT, or forgetting you came out?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by cakepiecookie, May 1, 2016.

1. cakepiecookie

I've encountered this a few times. I'll tell people that I'm mostly into women and I'll think they've got it, but then a couple of weeks later they'll ask me if I've met any cute guys lately. :confused2: I think this is largely to do with the fact that I used to be married to a guy, but what part of "I'm mostly gay" do they not understand? This happens even with close friends and LGBT friends who I'd think would get it.

Then there are the people who seem to forget completely. Like one friend of mine - we've had several conversations in which my orientation has come up. I thought it was very clear. But then the other night I kissed a woman and she was like "You're into women?! I didn't know that!" Like, what??

It doesn't bother me too much, but I do find it baffling. I guess people will finally get it once I start dating a woman.

Anyway, I'm just curious - does anyone else deal with this?

2. Kevin240

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah, I've had this happen. It seems like so many people are so self-absorbed that nothing that isn't about them registers with them. I mean, I had a co-worker try to fix me up with his wife's sister. When I reminded him that I'm gay (and married to a man) his genius remark was, "Oh, so you're really queer?" Duh...

3. Nobo

mabye directly say I'm gay if they don't get it after that forget it

4. Spotofpaint

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you just recently came out to your friends and family members. Or at the very least you've told new people who didn't know before. This phase of denial from friends and family members lasted with me for years after I came out. Now mind you, I didn't come out until I'd been dating the same girl for over 2 years and I knew it was serious enough to basically be FORCED to come out.

Even with that and with my family having MET my girlfriend, my mother would still ask me if I'd met any 'cute guys' when we had phone conversations. I don't know if she thought I was going through a phase or what, but this lasted a very long time, YEARS into my relationship. It wasn't until 8 years later when we got married that my mom finally seemed to get that I wasn't going to be dating any guys. Haha! Just gently remind them, repeatedly. Like a broken record. At least that's what I had to do. "No mom, I'm dating Anna, remember?"

5. DancingGirl

I am currently divorcing my husband bc I discovered that I identify as a lesbian. But him and his parents aren't getting it. They keep talking about how we should work on our marriage. That we have been married too long to give up now. And I try to explain that no amount of help or trying is going to fix my gay. So it is an everyday struggle. So yes I definately feel the struggle.

6. cakepiecookie

Wow, so this is even a problem when you're in a same-sex marriage? :lol: People are crazy.

It's interesting to know that I'm not alone in this.

I think the self-absorption thing is a big part of it. This friend I mentioned is a rather self-involved type (I love her, but it's true). I mean, this is something I've mentioned multiple times, including a rather emotional coming out and admitting that I'd slept with a woman recently. I don't expect friends to remember every little detail about me, but come on. :eusa_doh:

#6 cakepiecookie, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  7. Kashi

I've met this problem also, especially with one specific friend. I know that she is familiar with the idea that I like women as well, because we have talked about this a few times when we have met with a larger group of old friends. She even heard that I had a huge crush towards one of our former classmates, and she took it quite nicely, although she was a bit surpsired. Well, that thing never worked out and I've moved on. But, now when I spend time with this friend she often asks me if I've met any guys or if I'm dating any man. Well, I just answer no, and do not bother to tell her that actually I've found one interesting woman... Maybe I should, but then again, that just feels stupid, because she is only asking about those possible guys though she should remember that guys are not my only option... Oh well, I quess I'll just try to live with that :grin:

8. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, people are always too self absorbed to notice much. This can be a godsend in some instances though. But it's annoying to have to keep coming out to people, even AFTER you've told them. *face palm

9. CharacterStudy

Though if you tell people when you're all drunk they can wake up in the morning and think 'did so and so actually say she was gay? Hmmm, can't remember, too pissed, maybe I imagined it. Better not say anything.'

10. Glowing Eyes

My dad forgets constantly. Like, I had a pretty lengthy conversation about this once and then a month or so later when he found out about this forum he acted really surprised and had a kind of "you were serious about that?" (not exact wording) reaction.

#10 Glowing Eyes, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016