1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Father has disowned me for the third time

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by leslionel, May 3, 2016.

1. leslionel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, my father disowned me today. I've been very ill with what turns out to be a misdiagnosis of chronic depression (possible bipolar disorder, waiting for a psychiatrist. But I digress...) which my father has never understood.

I stayed over my parents this weekend, my mum and I had a minor spat due to something I can't remember. However my dad found out and he said to mum while pointing at me "get THAT out of here" and then said as I was walking out of the door "I hope you have a good life, because I won't be in it"

Prior to this he spent the whole weekend commenting on my weight and it actually upset me to the point that I was not eating carbs at all.

He's done this quite a lot to me, twice after I moved out, and once when I ended up in hospital with a chest infection.

I don't know what to do, any advice please?

2. Embi

Embi Guest

The truth is that he doesn't deserve you. A father shouldn't treat his child this way. So I won't contact him anymore. If you still wanna see your mother, you could meet with her alone at your place or in the city and not at the house so you won't see your father.
    Being around him will only make you feel worse and that's something you really don't need. Even though it's hard, breaking the contact is what I'd do because if he realizes that you don't need him anymore and don't make any effort, maybe he'll change his opinion and apologize and you can have a normal relationship (again?).

I hope you get better soon, family isn't always blood (*hug*)

3. leslionel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We had a pretty good relationship until he attempted suicide when I was 14 by overdosing on some of my mum's tablets. Since then I guess I've always resented him because the only thing he kept going on about was his son from his first marriage who passed away due to cot death.

Mum told me to let him stew and calm down over the next few weeks but she thinks we definitely need some counselling if we're ever to rebuild our relationship in the future.

Thanks for your sound advice. I guess I'll have to play it by ear xo

4. CharacterStudy

He doesn't deserve to be a father. I'm a mother and I cannot imagine treating my children in this way. It sounds like he has his own issues (e.g. depression, grieving his dead son (grieving a child will never go away, and a subsequent child can never 'make up' for it, as every child is their own person)), and it sounds like these have massively impacted on his ability to treat you the way you deserve.

However, just because he clearly has problems and need sympathy himself, does not mean that you should allow yourself and your own mental health to be damaged by remaining in contact with him.

How did his attempted suicide make you feel? Did you ever get counselling afterwards? I can image it feels like a major betrayal and abandonment, to a child (I had a good friend whose father killed himself and he (my friend) was messed up for years).

5. DalBCN

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you need to disown him. Not "fuck off, I never want to see you again." But, in your head, just make a mental note that this man is your father, but not someone to get.. support or stability from.

Maybe one day he'll turn around, so it's wise to keep him around. Just modify your expectations of him.

It is one thing to feel sympathetic for your parents' weaknesses, it's another thing to put yourself through them at the sake of your own health.

My parents never attempted suicide, but with the amount of moral/social support/teaching they gave me.. they'd might as well not have been around. I didn't realize how unprepared I was for normal life until I started seeing a LCSW. After meeting my parents, she actually commented that she doesn't know where I got my "good head" from. If she truly meant that, IDK. Still means my parents weren't the best. Curiously enough (to me, and my LCSW) they had no problems with me when I came out (16, now 22), and they actually started caring more about my mental health. So there is that. Appreciate the goodness they've brought, but don't feel that it outweighs or balances the bad in any way.

In my situation, I've found that accepting their love, and giving them love back, is the extent of our relationship. I don't ask them about life questions or share any details, nor do I allow them to ask me.

#5 DalBCN, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  6. CharacterStudy

DALBCN makes good points. You can define this relationship. Determine (to yourself) what he's going to be permitted to give you, and you give him.

For example in a case where a parent is unable to provide psychological support, but is comfortable with practical support, then you need to redefine your relationship with them (in your head) to play to their strengths. No one can be all things to anyone. If you have someone in your team who is crap with Excel but a whizz on presentations, and a bit of training isn't helping, then you allow them to play to their strengths.

And people do change, so it's possible he will regret all this when he's in a better place himself. However as I said before you must not risk your own mental health.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you need to disown him. But you don't need him in your life at this point. I'd vote for simply not having him in your life, and give is a year or two or three. My guess is he will come around, but if he doesn't, it is his problem and not yours.

8. leslionel

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got two sessions but then my school determined I wasn't at risk of being expelled so they cut it off. I've tried to talk about it with him but he tells me to leave it. My mum texted me saying he wants me in his life but I literally have no idea how to go from here. I don't want to have him saying the opposite again, I've heard it way too much already. The fact he can just so easily say it it makes me wonder if I'm some sort of replacement for his son.

9. CharacterStudy

Speak to your GP and see if a referral to counselling for you is possible on the NHS, also talk to the GP about your father's issues. Sounds like he could possibly do with some help sorting his head out too.

In Cambridgeshire I would imagine there's reasonable support for someone in your circumstances, if you can find it. E.g. this local government document, there's a bit called 'broken rainbows' providing support for people who are on the receiving end of domestic violence (including psychological, which sounds possible).

https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/Pink Guide to Cambridge.pdf

10. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If that's the way he treats you then there's no reason for you to keep him in your life, at least not for now. He's being extremely toxic and negative, and that's his problem, not yours.

Focus on your own life, and come back to him down the road. If he's still treating you the same there is absolutely no reason for you to reciprocate any respect back to him. Don't give up, but know when it's time to back off and realize that some things just don't work out sometimes.

11. Girlluvva69

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have to move on I agree with embi and jax but as always we are here to give you help