1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A frustrating mother...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Kashi, May 5, 2016.

1. Kashi

I'm having some slight difficulties with what my mother thinks about my sexuality. At first, I must say that she has been pretty accepting and supportive, and I'm really grateful for that, but still, there are some things that annoy and even hurt me a bit.

So, I've been out to my mother and my stepfather for over four years now. Basically, I just told them one time that I kissed one girl, and after that I also told that I think that I'm bisexual. Well, at first, my mother just said "Please don't say that now you are turning to be a lesbian." and I know that she hoped that this would be just some thing that would go away with time. I had a broken heart because of one man at that time, and she also hinted, that "Because it didn't work out with him doesn't mean that all the men are the same!" and other stuff like that. Of course, it hurt a bit, but later she seemed to accept the fact that I was indeed bisexual. I have talked to her about my girl crushes and she has been pretty supportive, especially with my recent crush that has been going on for over a year. My mom seems to like this woman a lot (she has met her a couple of times) and I know that if we will become an item someday, she would be prefectly fine with that.

Still, there are times when my mother is really annoying and says things that hurt me. For some reason, she doesn't seem to understand the word "bisexual". She still seems to think that people can only be straight or gay. So let's say that, if I end up with a woman in the future, she will think that I'm a lesbian, and then, if I end up with a man she will propably say that "I knew that you were straight after all!" Just before the last Christmas we were at a party and when we were on our way home she suddenly said to her husband: "How could we find a good MAN for ****?" That hurt so much, because my mother knew that I was in love with this friend of mine and because I could see what she meant by that comment. I thought that she had accepted my sexuality completely, and I was dissappointed. I don't even remember clearly what I answered, besides that I wasn't in need of any man and then I started to cry. And my mother continued: "But it's so sad that you are a lesbian just because you haven't met the right man yet." Luckily, my stepfather said then; "She is free to love anyone she wants." and then my mother just remained silent.

That's it. I just wanted to share this, because I would like to hear your situations with your familymembers as well. I love my mother and most of the time she is nice and supportive, but then again I know that she would be happier if I just found that "good man"...

#1 Kashi, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not out so I can't really speak for what my mother will say. I wouldn't be surprised if she continuously thought of me as a lesbian, especially since I'm planning to marry a woman.

I'm sorry that your mom appears to be accepting but is making these passive-aggressive comments regarding your sexuality and who you want to date. I'm glad that your stepfather seems to be truly accepting. If you're close with him, you could talk to him about how your mom's comments are making you feel.

You could also talk to her about how her saying these things make you feel and/or call her out when she says them. It's not okay for her to hear “bisexual” and think “lesbian who hasn't found the right man.” Another thing might be to print off resources on bisexuality and give them to her, so she can see that it's not just a phase and whoever you marry doesn't “confirm” that you're gay or straight.