1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend is avoiding me - it's a bit different

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by hmiko, May 6, 2016.

1. hmiko

Just needed someone to talk to about this as I can't still talk about this to my friends. Though I know they will understand and accept me for who I am, I just can't.

So, here's my very long story (I apologize for my english, as this is not my native language and it's been a long time since I did something like this)

He and I are not really chatty and we don't really talk that much at the beginning, just chatting for a few minutes, maybe just twice or thrice a week. Through those little chats, I got to know him that he's newly married and how such a nice good hearted person he is. I started to like him from then on.

One night, I accidentally sent a wrong text message to him and he candidly replied to me. That's when our nightly conversation starts. Though I'm always the first to message him, he's always generous in replying. I asked him a lot of things, from non sense to his personal life.

We got closer, or at least I got closer to him, as months passed by. We talk and laugh about a lot of things, even the stuff that I saw on his facebook and he seems ok with it or with the idea that I have looked at his timeline. I asked him favors every now and then and vice versa. We also started to eat lunch together and have nice long conversations.

Then he started to not reply on some of my messages on our usual nightly exchange of messages. In a not serious way, I asked him about that and he said that his wife scolded him for spending too much time on his phone and that they started to not use their phones after a certain time. I know it was a lie because I can see him being online on his facebook, way past the time they set to not use their phones. But still I tried to believe him and limit my message to important ones. I didnt notice yet at that time that Im starting to get to be too needy and wanted him to always talk to me.

With the nightly conversations gone, I started to chat with him at the office more often than usual, but not enough for us not to be able to do our job.

I told him that I saw his wife one night and that like him, his wife is also starting to gain weight and that married life suited them well. He laugh and kid me that he will tell that to his wife. That afternoon, he no longer replied to all of my chat messages to him. The following day, I asked him if he got offended on what I said, and he said that he's not, but he asked If I'm stalking him. He said that he also started to get weirded by our constant chatting and be annoyed with my questions to him on a lot of things. I said I'm sorry and he said that it's ok. We didnt talk for a few days. I pondered on the things that I have done and felt really bad about it. I felt that my apology was not enough so I apologized to him again as sincerely as I could and he said that it's ok, he's not angry with me and I have nothing to worry about.

So I started to chat with him again, but I limit it to just once or twice a day and try to avoid too personal questions. His reply now are not what they used to be. He's no longer joking. If possible, he's just answering my questions with a yes or a no, and sometimes he's not replying at all. When I asked him if we're really ok, he said yes and that he's just busy. I know he's not, but I still tried to believe him. I still tried to message him once in a while, but he started to not reply at all. He also looks mad and irritated whenever Im talking to him but not when he's talking to other officemates. When I asked him if he prefer for me not to talk to him for the mean time, he also didnt reply.

I stop talking to him after that and Im now sure that he's avoiding me. Whenever we cross path in the hallway, it's as if he didnt saw me. I dont know if I just got too paranoid that I even noticed that he only go out of his cubicle to go to the rest room or somewhere else when he knows that I'm in my cubicle. Whenever I use the rest room and he's there, he always go out as quick as he can.

Though I'm not really open about it, I'm pretty sure that from the first time that we met, he knows or atleast suspects that Im gay.

I think he now suspects that I like him that's why he's avoiding me. I wanted for us to talk about it but I dont know how to approach him. I dont want to admit to him that I like him because as Ive said, Im still a closeted gay and Im not yet comfortable about it.

I wanted for us to be ok again, not just because I like him, but because he's such a good friend to me. He have done a lot of things for me. He' s always there when I needed him.

Though it's really hard, I'm planning to not talk to him for a few weeks or months and just let it pass. Im hoping by the time that I talk to him again, he's no longer mad/angry/whatever at me and we will be able to talk about what happen and be good friends again. But Im also worried because as Ive said, most of the time, I was always the one approaching him, starting the conversation and that If I let it be like that for too long, it will no longer be resolved and we will never be in good terms again.

2. A Mindful Wolf

Take it from someone who also fell for a taken man, don't get in too deep that it hurts to get out. I'm still digging myself out of that emotional hell. Thankfully EC gave a lot of good advice and the general consensus is to avoid these situations.
    This man is taken. Even if he did do anything with you, he is betraying his wife, you are betraying his wife, you are allowing yourself to be a distraction of his. I know it sounds cruel, but it is SOOOO hard the other way around. I ended up hooking up with this guy (like, the perfect guy for me, no lies), we spent a lot of emotional time together, but he chose to remain in his relationship. Frankly, I'm worth more than that, and so are you.
    AGAIN: Avoid getting involved if you can.

3. hmiko

That does include avoiding to be friends with him again? I admit that I still like him, and will continue to like him for months to come, but I dont expect for him to like me the way I like him. Im happy just being close to him, and seeing him happy.

He's currently unhappy with his job and I dont want to be added to his reasons why hes unhappy that's why I wanted for this to be resolved the soonest.

4. hmiko

I forgot to mention that his wife blocked me on facebook