1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it like to be a 21 year old gay guy with very little experience nowadays?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by A Mindful Wolf, May 6, 2016.

1. A Mindful Wolf

^^^^basically me right now and I've just realized I have nothing to compare my life to. I've always been shy, always waited for others to make the move, and in the few "romantic" experiences I've had I either was used for non-sexual company or crushed waaaaay too hard and then pretty much got taken advantage of (not ALL unwillingly, but more so when I look back at the experiences). The former has been with girls I liked, but they just assumed I was fully gay and ended up hurting me a little. In terms of being out, I was never truly in because I've always been an outsider and had very "controversial" views about delicate topics like abortion/religion/sexuality in a very Catholic society (I'm an atheist myself). As a result my sexuality is kinda an in-joke in my family insofar that they have fun trying to identify me. I don't actually mind this.
    Because of all this I matured very quickly in terms of critical thinking and logic, but I realize now I really left myself in the dirt when it comes to feelings and sexuality. So anyone within the 20-30 age range, or older and experienced this, looking at TODAY's society, what exactly is it like for someone like me in the world?

2. beowoolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! I can relate. I'm 22F and I've never as much as held hands with someone. Never mind make out or have sex.

I too come from a Catholic childhood, although I do live in a very liberal part of the world where being gay isn't a big deal--for this I am grateful, but liberal-ness doesn't help my single-ness.

I too would say I "matured very quickly in terms of critical thinking and logic" but is terribly behind in other stages of life.

Interestingly, when I talk to people who have dated and had sex lots, my inexperience doesn't seem like a big deal. I don't know if they're just being nice, but people--good people, because I only talk to people I have respect for!--don't really take sexual experience THAT much in account. It depends on what you're after, I suppose. Sexual experience might count if you want to be successful at one-night stands. But I think it's less important if you want to date and have an eventual relationship. When it comes to dating and relationships, I think it's life experience that counts, and you've had 21 years of that and what I can see from your way of speech as a mature attitude.

The media only tells the stories of a few, not the entire human experience. I think there are way more 20/30-something year-old virgins in our boat. I mean, life gets in the way. I'm in university doing a double major. I work. I volunteer. I do extracurriculars. I actually socialize a lot and have little trouble making friends. And I'm sure you do too, there's absolutely nothing "wrong" with you or I :slight_smile:

3. A Mindful Wolf

It's good to know I'm not alone (&&&). I've always been a kind of romantic so I'm definitely aiming for relationships rather than one-night stands. I hope you're right and that my life experiences can carry me over the threshold :slight_smile:.

4. beowoolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha, if you think about it, people in the Middle Ages got married and had kids in their teens. Childhood and young adulthood seems to be ever-expanding. I think our generation is just part of this phenomenon.

My parents got married at 25. I can't imagine getting married at 25. I think I'd get married earliest 30 even if I met my Happily Ever After tomorrow.

We simply have more distractions and things to do.

I too am a bit of a romantic. Us romantics are fussy, I've come to discover. It's very rare I'd actually find someone I like romantically, so when I finally do, I panic and inevitably mess it up. Looking back there has actually been a number of people who've wanted to start something with me, that I could have experimented with...if only for the experience's sake...but I don't do that because I refuse to commit to something I'm not 100% into.