1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help: partially out and still depressed

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by pgc317, May 6, 2016.

1. pgc317

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So it's been nearly a year since I came out. My parents have been mostly accepting after some getting used to, and my friends have been really supportive. Or as supportive as I allow them to be. I thought coming out would lead to happiness because I believed the "It Gets Better" slogan. And in many ways my life HAS gotten better. Despite these positive changes, I still have frequent episodes of depression because of my loneliness. I joined gay dating sites/apps in hopes of finding someone, but I've had no luck after 9 or 10 months. Not a single date. I've never been in a relationship, never even kissed anyone. My friends come to me for help and tell me all their relationship details and my heart aches every time because I just want what they have that I can't seem to have. I just want that connection. I want that spark. I want to feel and experience love in the romantic sense, not just the family/relative sense. I would give anything just to find a guy who's into me and vide versa and even just hold his hand. I just feel so lonely because 1) I have no boyfriend 2) I don't feel like part of the gay community and 3) I can't let my guard down. I don't even tell my friends the extent of my sadness/loneliness but they can't definitely sense it. Whenever they ask, I brush it off and act like it doesn't bother me when really I just want to break down and cry right then and there. I'm too afraid to be vulnerable and let my guard down even with them because I'm scared that I'll lose them if I do. I couldn't possibly handle losing them because they're all I've got at this point. Our friendship was nearly jeopardized because I acted like a jerk when I was depressed and pushed them to a breaking point, and the thought of that nearly killed me. It just seems like my entire life I've been afraid to voice my feelings for fear of repercussions and losing those I love. That's an ongoing situation for me currently with the whole gay thing and my differing beliefs from the rest of my family who doesn't know yet. At this point, I just want someone to wrap their arms around me and hold me while I just sob and let out everything I've kept inside for so long.

2. gryf

Pcg, I totally get you.
    I've been so depressive it effective my job and my friends had to snap me or if it.
    You need to talk. It write stuff. I found writing my thoughts down helps a ton.

You have friends. As long as you're not an ass, in confident they win be OK if you show that emotion sometimes. Just not ALL the time.

Try and find ANY gay group to go to.. Meet up. Hiking group.
    General social. Community center.
    Lgbt support.
    Anything and just GO. Even, especially, when you want to stay home alone.
    That has helped me become much more open and relaxed.

I'm lucky. I just got a date with a guy, but I live near a city in the Northeast.
    There is a decent gay population here.

And, I've gone very quick from idiotically repressed to very open. But that doesn't work for everyone.

If you want someone to talk to, hit my wall..

3. Fromslahen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not an expert on the matter, but if your friends can tell how you're feeling inside and they're asking you about it, they're obviously concerned and want to help you. Expressing how you feel to them is what they want you to do and you should allow them to help. I know what it's like to have to put on a good face when you're feeling the complete points inside (though not to the same extent). Generally I find the benefits of coming out are about lifting the burden off of your chest, but if you're still carrying around these feelings you're not going to be able to feel much benefit. I would advise telling them, but if don't feel you can do that then I'd reiterate gryf's points. I've recently started going to a local Youth Café (which is basically a rec centre) and though it's not LGBT-focused, everyone's very open-minded and accepting and I always feel more confident after going to it. Hope this helps!

4. TheAnon32

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel. You just got to let it out some how like someone said before. I would right almost every night anything that was in my head at that moment; every though and emotion. It truly does help. You could also write stuff here at EC or if you feel you can talk to one of your friends. I know it could be hard to trust people or let your guard down but you are most definitely not alone.

5. pgc317

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. I do tend to write a little, but maybe I need to focus on that more. The hardest part is just wanting to be in a relationship, wanting to be loved, wanting to be kissed, wanting to be cuddled, etc and all the things I feel unable to have. I used to be a hopeless romantic, but that part of me is quickly just becoming cynical to the entire idea of love. It's just that every time I try to talk to a guy I get shut down, so when a guy actually takes the initiative to talk to me and have a good conversation, I'm always worried that I'm going to screw something up and he'll leave just like the others. I got close once, talking to this guy and really hitting hit off, but he eventually felt overwhelmed and jumped ship -- therefore fulfilling my fear. I'm just tired of not having any luck and I feel like I'm wasting my time, like I'm just not meant to have these things. Some would say that "the one" will come one day when I least expect it, but I'm seriously beginning to doubt that given my current trajectory and nonexistent dating history.

6. Closeteer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there buddy :slight_smile:

You know something? It could have been me writing that post :slight_smile:

I was just checking EC on my phone before turning in but after reading your post I just HAD to open my comp and type this out.

First, deep breath. Whew, feel better? Now listen - it's not going to be very reassuring but I hope it helps in some way.

Yes, I feel ALL those things you just described - the wish to have someone to hold, to cuddle, to kiss, to love. I'm also partially out to folks and a few friends but not the whole world. And yes, I belong to the never-been-kissed category too (we're not extinct, take heart! ;-))

What everyone has told you is sensible advice. Try and look within you and see whether it's social connection you need with people which is just manifesting itself in an over-strong feeling for a relationship or "the one". For me I've come to realize it's a mix of both. Yes, I do want to find the Disney prince but I also realized (AFTER joining a gay sports group and making - after a LOT of effort - a few gay friends) that part of what I wanted was just the comfort of being with other gay people now and then. I feel more at ease, don't have to have my "guard" up and can just have fun and even joke about having a crush on the cute barista.

Dating apps are a very, VERY skewed sample of people if you're not the hook-up kind (again, can't generalize but most of the popular apps have just become like that because the people seeking something quick far outnumber those seeking deeper connections). If you want an idea then try this for a statistic - after being on one for about 7 months (and sending way too many friendly messages to people) I've found two people whom I've become friends with. The odds can be daunting.

Gryf put it most succinctly - just get out and go somewhere which involves spending time with people (doesn't have to be LGBT groups alone, pick a hobby) because the more time you spend alone the more you'll brood about loneliness (been there, done that, bought the T-shirt). I'm not saying things become easy suddenly, it's an ongoing effort at times. But if you become part of a group or two you'll have something to look forward to on a regular basis and you know what? That feeling is just amazing! I feel that with my sports group (even though I'm the worst player).

Moreover, the odds of you meeting someone nice increase exponentially the more things you are a part of. Think about it - if you want to meet people with similar interests you're more likely to find them at places other than dating apps! You're in Denver and that's got to have MANY more LGBT meetup/group options that what I, or many others, have access to. Make the most of them! Try out a few, see which ones you like, and then stick with them! Go and gettem, tiger :slight_smile:

And don't push away your close friends. Esp. the ones you trust the most? Tell them that you feel lonely at times. Tell them that you feel sad. There's no shame or weakness in that. We can't be strong all the time. Part of what deepens friendships is sharing vulnerability (look up Brene Brown's TED talk). I recently did that with a friend (and I'm obsessed with perfectionism so it WASN'T easy!) and I wish I'd done it sooner!

Feel free to write in on the wall if you want to talk. But don't feel disheartened and fight against becoming cynical. The world you see on gay dating apps is not the true or the only representation of gay culture. It's just one facet. Hoping for love is something which you should never give up on :slight_smile:

Love and hugs,
    C

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you are feeling depressed, more than just occasional days, consider meeting with a professional counselor who understands LGBT issues. It could be being partially in the closet is only part of the stresses in your life.

You might try to find more LGBT friends so that you don't feel so self-conscious in bringing up relationships; though, even straight people know there are universalities in romance.

Also, whatever you do, don't get into a relationship just for loneliness because you may find that you still feel unsatisfied if other aspects of your life aren't working out. Take that guy you think "jumped ship". Have you tried contacting him again to maybe just stay friends? I know that you might be feeling like "once bitten, twice shy", but sometimes you have to get through the weeds of flaky guys until you find someone who is willing to go the distance with you. Learn to treat rejection as not a mark against your self-worth but a way of redirecting you to try again. Related to that is to work on self-development (like talking to the counselor) so that when you meet a guy who is mutually interested, you will feel like a more equal date/partner because of your greater self-confidence.