1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She says my insecurities are pushing her away (Lesbian)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DefyingGravity, May 9, 2016.

1. DefyingGravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 3 years. But in the past few months we hit a snag. I'll admit, I have a lot of insecurities and they tend to come out to her because she is also my closest friend.

So when she told me a few weeks ago that she needed space from me because my insecurities are pushing her away, it was like all my insecurities and fears of losing her was coming true. We took a 2 week break with no contact at all. We started talking again about a week ago, after she texted me saying that she couldn't stand not talking to me any longer.

But now it's been a week, and a few days ago we were talking and I said something that got the response "See this is what i'm talking about. This right here is exactly an example of what is pushing me away." All i asked was if she was mad at me assuming that she was out all night drinking. (she has a drinking problem, which got her in trouble this past weekend) I have this sense that she was relieved when we were on break and now is relieved when we don't talk/text.

She also hasn't been texting me as much, like I'm the one that starts conversations, and tries to keep it going by asking questions. This past week especially, she doesn't say anything to me about her day or how she is feeling unless i ask. And she rarely asks me first. I don't know if i'm being overly sensitive or if i'm reading too much into her actions, but although she says she loves me, I am starting to feel like she is losing interest in me. But it feels like that if it was up to her, we wouldn't be talking everyday.

Even though she is the one that said that the break we did was to strengthen our relationship, which she also said was FOR me (because i supposedly needed to take time to myself, which i did I even went on vacation by myself for 4 days. While she was spending her break with her best friend partying most nights and drinking.)

Anybody have any advice on how i can lessen my insecurities? And how can i talk to my girlfriend about my insecurities without her getting defensive or mad at me for bringing it up?

#1 DefyingGravity, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  2. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not to be negative but it sounds like you're trying to win a losing battle. If someone genuinely loves you and wants to be with you, they will make effort. I couldn't imagine being in a relationship that struggles to make conversation. That's a red flag right there to abort the mission.

But to answer your question at the end... Just stop talking about your insecurities. I can't stand listening to my significant other whine about an insecurity. It absolutely drives me bat shit crazy. Let things just cool off, then bring it up without bringing it up. As in, talk about the subject without relating it to the fact that you're insecure about it.