1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My best friends wedding issue

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nothingness, May 15, 2016.

1. Nothingness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 22 years old and I'm a mtf. I've been transitioning for about a year now and everyone has been very supportive including my best friend since 1st grade Brit. Now Brits been dating a guy for a yearish and they're getting married and I'm super happy for them. Being her best friend she asked me to be her maid of honor but since it's so small And I'm the only brides maid i get to pick what to wear but she's requested I don't wear a dress because her dad and his friends are close minded about me. I feel like she's ashamed of me for being myself and I don't know what to do. I hate the idea of it being the day I came out oh and her wedding but at the same time I don't want to wear a suit it brings back bad memories and I want to be able to show them that I'm a proud women. What do I do? I'm really stuck in a bind here :frowning2:

2. Really

Does she want you to appear male or just not wear a dress? There are tons of great pant outfits for women. Could you find a compromise? I wonder if Pinterest has some examples you might like.

This is tough but I think you have to remember this is her day. If she wanted you to wear a rooster costume and you still wanted to be her bridesmaid, you'd have to.

If she insists you have to appear male then you may have to decline to be in the wedding party. I'm sure she would rather you weren't miserable at her wedding and you being a happy guest would be a better alternative.

3. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think Really has a great point about pant outfits. It's entirely possible to feel like a woman without wearing a dress. If your friend wants you to appear as a man, then that's something you don't have to accept, even for her wedding (in my opinion)

4. Nothingness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your feed back 0///0 I asked her and she said she was worried about me being bullied by her fathers friends. We talked she doesn't have a problem with me in a dress but I'm looking for a shirt and pants first if I can't find one I can go with a dress. she said it's not that she's ashamed of me she just didn't know how confident I was in myself at this stage

5. sempai

She seems really understandable. Thanks goodness you guys communicate. That's what a lot of people lack these days.