1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else feel awkward having a single Friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by OutofZCloset, May 16, 2016.

1. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been happily married now for 20 years. I've never really had other lesbian friends until recently. The problem is they are both single. One of them I pilfered from my wife's friend base and the other I found on my own. The problem is I feel kinda awkward when they call. We're just friends and we're not talking about anything sexual or romantic but for some reason I feel weird about it. I don't even know why. If I was straight and I had a male friend my husband would probably be jealous when that person called. I really would like to have other Lesbian friends. My wife has several lesbian friends both single and couples. What is my issue? I'm not jealous of her. Why am I so weirded out by it? I wish my friends were married and not single. Does anybody else have this problem? Maybe it's just in my head. My wife is not the jealous type but maybe it's because I've never giver her a reason to be. Now that I hang out with single lesbians maybe I'm afraid she will be.

2. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think you are worrying too much about your wife becoming jealous. You're not jealous about her friends, why should she? Adults can be good friends with other adults regardless of their relationship status. Just because one is single does not mean they are predators looking to flirt at any given chance. Conversely, just because one is married doesn't mean they won't make a move on others. Try to calm down and evaluate your friendships individually for what it is, and if issues of jealousy come about, handle it case by case.

3. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely get what you're saying, I just recently had a similar conversation. If you were straight, you would have a male husband and probably a female best friend. Being gay means that you want a best friend that is the same gender and sexuality as your partner which could very easily make your partner feel jealous or inadequate, in a way that a straight female friend wouldn't affect a husband.

For me, as much as I would like to find new gay male friends, it feels awkward knowing that I am actively seeking to become friends with someone on the basis that we are both male and attracted to men, even though it obviously wouldn't form a physical part of the relationship.

My partner is the same, not jealous or possessive but I worry that spending time with other (new) gay men would cause him to be concerned. Maybe there's a part of me that wants him to object, I'm not sure.

I don't really have any useful advice because it appears we're in a similar situation but I thought it would help to know you're not the only one thinking it.