1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girlfriend vs Family?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by My Name, May 25, 2016.

1. My Name

Out Status:
    Some people
    SOME ADVICE PLS!

First some background stuff...

I came out to my mum a few months back, she didn't take it well... and actually said some very nasty things. That however has changed and I think although she is in no way near to accepting it, she is still working on our relationship and trying to salvage that - which of course makes me really happy and hopeful for the future.

That being said, my girlfriend has been with me through this whole process of coming out to my mum and through her nasty reaction etc... In contrast to my relationship w my family, she is very open about her sexuality and gets basically no hardship for it. Her family are really accepting and it is great.
    But lately we've been having some issues because she feels excluded from my family, which I understand to some degree, I know she'd like to be able to meet them all and have dinner or just the normal stuff - and important stuff.

Things that I've been fortunate to do with her family. But of course, I haven't come out to my whole family and seeing the reaction of my mum it makes it really hard to feel like I could or should.

This puts me in an uncomfortable situation as I try to balance having a good relationship w my mum - who knows I have a girlfriend but doesn't want to ever hear about it - and being able to include my gf in every aspect of my life...

Any advice or comment welcome!!! pls!!

2. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just because your mum didn't handle it well doesn't mean the rest of the family will be the same way. Both my parents had difficulty with it but the entire rest of my family has been surprisingly excellent. You never know until you try.