1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling Her my depression

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ETCA, May 29, 2016.

1. ETCA

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just last night, my girlfriend of nearly two months told me of her past, as she felt I should know, considering the reasons behind some of her actions as well as her PTSD attacks. I am perfectly okay with all she told me, and it has only given me more respect for her. However, it's now my turn to come clean. I've been though nothing traumatic in my life, but I did medium-recently struggle with depression, self harm, and suicide, and still occasionally do. (She also struggled with the latter two at one point.) My problem enlies that I know I will have a problem telling her this. After all she told me, it seems so minuscule and needless a problem, and it's become a norm for me to believe that the whole thing was unneeded, weak, and stupid. But I don't want to blow it out of proportion by telling her all of those thoughts. We've agreed I will be telling her this tommorow so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're allowed to receive the same love you want to give your to your girlfriend. No experiences are alike, but if you're so understanding of your girlfriend's conditions and past, you're more than entitled to that as well. You deserve it, don't put yourself down, like Plato said, we're all going through a deep struggle.

3. TigerStripes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^YES. THAT.^
    Just be real. She's clearly trusted you with some of her struggles, so let her help hold some of yours. We're all weak and stupid. It's nothing to hide. What's special is that we can love and help each other through it.

4. MoonAndStars34

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yep, we all have struggles. An open, honest relationship can do wonders. Good luck :slight_smile:

5. jmkfour

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    remember that your experience and issues in no way invalidates your partners. Like wise your struggle is valid and does not deserved to be considered less. Its your personal struggle and being able to share it with your partner is important.

just telling her that you suffer or have suffered from depression and that it led you to some dark places could be all that needs to be said ( but its your story, you will find a way to share it). This is not a who has it worse contest ( no one wins ). accept you both have struggled and that in no way invalidates the other.

Me and my boyfriend struggled with sharing our pain with each other. we did treat it like some kind of sad peeing content and we were left with just stress and anger. we've have since abandoned that approach and let the other share what there experiencing or feeling or have felt in the past. we aim not to question or undermine what is shared. we offer support and if asked , solutions. empathy is powerful my friend. good luck