1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experiences/thoughts on straight crushes?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nicaklaus, May 30, 2016.

1. Nicaklaus

I know I'm not alone on this, but I'd just like to hear the thoughts of other people. Every crush I've had so far turned out to be straight- I have one at the moment, a senior on my tennis team that, after a few weeks, I'm not going to see ever again :tears::help:

What are your experiences/thoughts?

#1 Nicaklaus, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. ForeverMe

Uggg...those are the worst. I don't crush on that many people, but I have super long term crushes and of 4 crushes (3 on girls), 1 was Bi (she didn't like me though) and 2 were straight...my current crush is a girl who I was crushing at first on mid last year (but I didn't realize it was a crush; I thought it was a friend crush) who may or may not be into girls (her parents are a little homophobic, so it's a little confusing). In between I lost interest in her for a while, and then there was the Bi girl (super flirtatious and VERY out, from my very gay theatre group) and the straight girl (super flirtatious and super straight). I am still trying to decide whether crushing on a stright person or a possibly not straight person with internalized homophobia is worse. Either way, it's probably best to forget about them as quickly as possible...not that I'm very good at taking that advice.

3. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of my two current crushes, both are straight. One's a girl, so it's not a problem, but she has a boyfriend. The other is a guy, and he's straight. Like not even a chance straight.

They suck. I wish I would stop having them!

4. fenestra

Not fun. But I've had many, many crushes over the years (straight and/or not possible) and realize that they don't have to mean that I have to be romantic with that person. Sometimes that person might have something to teach me, they might be a potential friend or they might possess a quality that I admire and want to be influenced by. Then I try to keep them close and, if I end up loving them, then I tell myself that could be all there is. Isn't that enough?

But, yeah, sometimes the answer is no. It can totally suck because, ultimately, we are all in human bodies that desire things. We just learn to let go, slowly, over the course of a lifetime.

#4 fenestra, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  5. lovetoomuch

I will say: Avoid at all costs. Throughout middle school and high school I constantly had straight crushes. My last one in high school lasted for two years until I finally told him and he told me he was straight. It wears you out a lot, especially if you fall hard for the guy or girl.

I've found that since I started accepting myself more and coming out more and more, I crush more on gay guys. Yes, there are many straight men I find very attractive, but I realize that I don't have a chance with them.

In high school it's hard because you see the same people all the time and most of those people are going to be straight, so the chances of you crushing on some straight is very likely.

6. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What are my thoughts on straight crushes? THEY HURT.
    I've had quite a few, and my current crush may or may not be straight. Hopefully may not.

7. Comet

Ugh, straight crushes. It's gotten to the point where I have trouble distinguishing between friend and romantic crushes, so it's sort of like a rite of passage for my friends that I've had a crush on them... That being said, I have a current crush on a freshmen who says she is pansexual, but she said she doesn't like me 'in that way.' Which I'm cool with, I guess. She recently broke up with her boyfriend, so who knows.

8. cibi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    they end badly bcuz thats right they are straight

9. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to move this to Family, Friends and Relationships - where people might have some more advice and stories to share. If the original poster wants it moved back to chit-chat, feel free to let me know!

10. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I hate straight crushes! They are the worst, especially when they are a bit flirtatious to you without realizing it.

11. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I've only crushed on one my entire life who wasn't straight, and she moved so...

Kinda sucks, wish it was a little more balanced.

12. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've had three pretty serious straight crushes. At least, they claim to be straight. One of them is also one of my best friends, which is a pretty stereotypical thing to do.

13. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do not approve of straight crushes because they are just a heartbreak waiting in the wings. The fact of the matter for me is this...when you know someone is straight...its okay to admire them but don't allow it to go somewhere you know in reality that its not going to happen and if it does just by chance, it will never be what you anticipate or expect it to be...because they straight and if they are confused or closeted is even worse. I have a lot of straight male friends. Some are married and some are single. However, the reason why I have the relationships that I have with them is not because I find them attractive, its because I respect them and they in return respect me. Honestly, I do have moments with them where they want to flirt around with me or even ask me why I never made a pass at them? or do I find them attractive? but this behavior comes from me not going after them. Even the married guys play around with me out of respect and even calls me their other half in front of their women but its all in fun and they have given me their support and protection no matter what. In other words, set some boundaries for yourself when it comes to crushing on straight guys because these situations in most cases does not end well.

14. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been three years and I still haven't gotten over my trigger crush. :eusa_doh:

15. geoseason

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love my boyfriend, but I have a thing for a straight guy right now. I'm getting an apartment with the straight guy in a couple weeks and we'll be sharing a room, saving money. I don't know how this will goooo but we'll see.

16. BookWriter1994

Hmm. I wouldn't call it a crush seeming as both of them are straight. There was one when I first started working at a store and she's one of my headcashiers. Her name is Erika. She's super duper pretty. But she's married to her high school sweetheart so I let that one go fast. To be honest, I was still not accepting myself of liking girls at the time so I was pretty shock that it went away.

The next one was a new cashier named Kayla. I mean, OMG, so damn pretty. I had this attraction towards her since the very first day she showed up in the break room. It was hard guys. And then I found out that she has a boyfriend who also works with us so that sucked. I still have attraction to her sometimes though and I know that it's bad. There are days when I don't feel any attraction at all when I see her. But when I do see her sometimes at work I will feel attraction..

Sigh..

#16 BookWriter1994, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  17. britishatheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My first real crush was straight. She broke my heart. But I'm fine now. I'm good.

*sobs internally*

18. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)

19. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All of my boy crushes except one have been straight or dating. :frowning2:

20. Miri

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My trigger crush was straight (of course). It took me years to get over her and I was terrified of my feelings for her the whole time, since I wasn't even ready to accept I was gay yet. We don't talk much these days, but we are friendly when we see each other once in a blue moon. I still get that rush looking at her sometimes, although it only lasts a moment and, to be fair, she has changed.

My current crush (or something) is probably closeted, but like everyone else says, that doesn't make it easier. Harder, probably. Especially since she has a boyfriend, and she and I have a history of sorts together. She's also my best friend, which does make it painfully cliched.

I wouldn't deny that straight crushes are indeed painful, but they're not all bad. If you survive them, you learn a lot about friendships, relationships and dealing with your own feelings. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, hey? :wink:

#20 Miri, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016