1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with feeling ugly and unattractive?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by newuser, Jun 7, 2016.

1. newuser

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello

Several times I've been told that I am cute, but many times I think I am not attractive or that attractive (both physically and personally) I would like to be, and I can't handle it, it pisses me off and the depression comes.

I just can't figure out how handsome men could ever fall for me?

Additionally, I'm too lazy to work out, and often don't have the motivation it requires.

Any advice? Any motivational stories?

Are you guys superficial?

2. tulipinacup

I've always felt that way. I usually get compliments that I'm cute so wtf does that mean? Am I cute enough to be kissed or fucked? But I think that all stems from me having a low self-esteem. I think it's ok to feel ugly at times because we all have those moments but it's a lot healthier to think the otherwise.

I always wanted to have a good body and so I started to workout (and still am) because I thought guys that I'm attracted to would come for me but I think it just comes to realisation that what if this person stops loving me when I hit rock bottom and not only talking about physically but mentally and emotionally and maybe falling in love with someone requires more than being attracted to what they look like.

It's easy to say to start off loving yourself but I'll just say anyway but I can tell you that loving yourself also applies to loving someone else and that requires pain, suffering and lots of understanding.

When you keep finding out the real you and how deserving you are to be loved then the feeling of self hatred starts to diminish.

I'm rambling as hell but I hope this helped.

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ya know, I run into a lot of people who feel this way, and they're aren't ugly. Are they super models? No. But are they hideous...of course not.

I find most just have an unreal standard for themselves, what they lack is confidence.

On the flip side there are plenty of good looking guys that become unattractive the minute they open their mouths.

Give yourself a break, you're NOT as ugly as you think, really you're not.

4. fortheloveoflez

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people find others attractive who I find unattractive. There usually isn't a set standard of who is "ugly" and who isn't. As for the men who are interested in you, they likely read you as attractive to THEM. That is the key word.

5. sunshine360

sunshine360 Guest

As clique as this sounds--everybody has a different idea on what they find attractive. Unless you're a celebrity or someone with a ton of money to spend, you most likely won't be able to change your looks fully. You can however make the best out of it with what you have.

6. A Mindful Wolf

Dude, there is SOMEONE who likes you, trust me. I thought the exact same thing, seriously, I thought I was ugly af and weird, but someone was still able to like me...I was surprised, and even though it ended I know now that someone is able to like me :slight_smile: .

7. newuser

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for your replies.
    Today I didn't feel quite well, as usually

8. JustNoOne

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I feel the same way. Like, if someone answered my prayers and my crush is gay, I feel that there is still no chance he'd like me because I'm so ugly. However, I keep telling myself that looks are not everything. Your personality is more important in a relationship, so it shouldn't matter what you look like. And remember, its all in your head. You may not like yourself, but others will, and you just need to focus on that! It's what THEY find attractive, and that very well could be you!

#8 JustNoOne, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  9. newuser

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for your words. I think you are right it is inside our minds. About my personality, it is still for me inevitable to stop thinking that it must be hard that somebody likes me for how my personality is, since I am a very quiet boy who can't fix/get along with coworkers, which could make me strange or fool, therefore unattractive.

However, I would say I like the way I am personally (and I have to say that often physically too), It would be nice to find somebody that I like who likes me back including the way I am personally and physically.

10. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

In my experience, while it can be good to think of yourself as beautiful, I think if you do, it's imperative that it comes from the right place.
    By that I mean, in order to think of yourself differently, you shouldn't selectively avoid the parts you feel you don't like and pay attention to parts you like more. I think a lot of people make that mistake and develop a false sense of confidence. Nobody is perfect and it's important to recognize that maybe you aren't perfect, but that's okay!

No matter what, you are never more than a human being and never less than a human being.

Conventional beauty standards are kind of unnatural to expect of yourself or anyone else. In fact, so many standards of beauty very so greatly around the world that comparing yourself to one is kind of ridiculous in the grand scheme. Yes, some people do look conventionally attractive, but if you feel you don't I think the better way to go about that is to say "You know what? My face and my body are the way they are, in their natural form. Maybe all my body parts don't match up to some idealized vision of what some people think looks best, but screw that standard. It doesn't make me any less of a person to not be perfect and it doesn't mean I can't love myself for the way I am."

Your body is not a source of shame.
    Plus, people have all different types of preferences and things they find attractive.
    You are you, and that's great!

#10 bubbles123, Jun 10, 2016
  11. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel the same way... :frowning2:

12. geoseason

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just embrace how you look - there is no "hot" or "ugly" technically, just get in better shape, eat less or healthier, and take care of yourself with hygiene and have good hair! Start just loving your eyes and who you are and just love who you are cause no one else will look or be like you!

We are all ugly to someone. My brother thinks some top models are ugly. soo no one is prone!

It is kinda hypocritical you want handsome men to be attracted to you - but most likely handsome men do something to look that way like work out or run or eat properly. you get what you give!

#12 geoseason, Jun 10, 2016
  13. LadyMidnight

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    you need to listen to the ones that call you cute and ignore the rest!
    But at the end of the day, its all up to you. It can take many years to overcome those thoughts. But when you are finally free, life is amazing

14. newuser

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    glad to receive more of your advice. As a plus question I want some advice in: shouldn't I care of being shy or feeling like not speaking with coworkers? Does that make me look like a loser?