1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encouraging self-acceptance

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Squish21, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Squish21

Hi,
    This is my first time posting here. I've been attempting to seek out support services in my local area (Melbourne, Australia) for lgbt+ people. I've been seeing an incredible girl for just under 6 months now and since the beginning of our relationship (for both of us our first same-sex relationship) she has struggled to accept her that our relationship would mean she wasn't straight. She comes from a family which is not entirely open and accepting of the lgbt+ community and has many friends who are the same.
    Until recently it hasn't been too much of an issue, it was simply a matter of her not being comfortable with PDA for the most part (something which she previously avoided in her relationships with men too). However in the past couple of weeks she has had a few things occur that have made her question herself and her sexuality.
    She has said she would like to try to work through these doubts with some help and I have been attempting to find any groups in Melbourne which would be suitable. Unfortunately the majority of what I have found revolves around teens, which does not really help as she is 24 (25 in about 2 months) and most of the groups have a cut off age of 24 and, being aimed more at younger people, would be out of her comfort zone.
    I was wondering if anyone here knew of any groups in Melbourne supporting lgbt+ people over the age of 20 and how to contact them?
    I feel this may be a long shot but I figured it was worth a try!

#1 Squish21, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    have you tried Pflag? im pretty sure there is a group on Melbourne. for a city that size there must. the one here that I go to has a mix of teens, twentys, and older.

to add. here is the link for them

Parents, Families and friends of Lesbians And Gays - Victoria

---------- Post added 8th Jun 2016 at 02:22 PM ----------

BTW, Welcome.:smilewave