1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Pride worth guilt-tripping my friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by IceGalaxy, Jun 10, 2016.

1. IceGalaxy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In two weeks it is London Pride Parade (25th June) and since I decided to finally come out to people during the last year, I was really looking forward to going and seeing all the glitz and glamour of the festival. However, I am only 16 years old and with no experience of going to any LGBT event beforehand, I don't want to go alone to a parade with about a million people, where almost everyone is going to be older than me.

As a result, I decided to ask my group of close friends (who are all straight) whether they would like to come to London on the 25th and they all said yes. However, as soon as I mentioned Pride, they all said no and politely tried to wriggle out of going. I know they are not trying to be homophobic and they are probably scared as straight cis guys to go to an event that is dedicated to LGBT people, but without anyone to go with, I am going to have to go alone.

So, I decided that I have two options. Either I can guilt-trip my friends and force them to come with me to Pride. The problem with this is not only is it unfair on them, but it puts a strain on our friendship and there is a chance that it won't work. Alternatively, I could try going alone, but I am afraid to go to such a big event where everyone is 20+ and I know no one. Plus I am not sure about safety and logistics (i.e. will I have to go early etc.).

Do you have any ideas of what I should do? Have you been to Pride (London if possible) before and if so what is the atmosphere like? Is it safe for teens to go unaccompanied? Also, how many straight people are there and how do you go about convincing a straight person on going to Pride anyway?

I would just also really appreciate anyone with advice about Pride festivals in general. I've never been to one before and it looks pretty cool!

#1 IceGalaxy, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. geoseason

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ask other friends or family even if you can. Just find some people you're not really close to but acquaintances and if you think they'd want to go ask! That's what I did but I backed out due to work.

3. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't necessarily need to guilt trip your friends just explain the whole issue of how you don't want to go along. Maybe say to them that you can do other things aswell and compromise. If that fails maybe try and go with another gay friend?

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Guilt tripping sucks. Don't do it.

I'd ask other friends or family to go with you. Don't guilt trip, but explain how much it would mean to you :slight_smile:

5. IceGalaxy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only problem with that is that I have only really come out to my close friends and none of my family know. I have got one or two other friends I could ask but they live a bit far away so asking them to come to central London might be problematic.

6. geoseason

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ah ok. Offer to buy your friends food or bribe them somehow! Lol