1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

letting go of resentment towards parents' homophobia

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Daffyd, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Daffyd

Hi everyone,

I came out twice over the course of this decade and only the second time did I stay out. That was last year. The first time I was thirteen and terrified.
    My parents are evangelical missionaries with some liberal ideas but generally very conservative about sexuality. When I told them I was gay I was in turn told, quite frankly, that it was just a phase and I should pray and wait for it to pass.

I have a somewhat passionate personality and so I did the most unhelpful and idioitic thing you could do in this situation and in the years that followed this I threw myself blindly into an extremely fundamentalist faith. I went full-blown Christian nutjob on myself and now, in retrospect, I terrify myself.
    This all ended with me in therapy since 2014 after a nervous breakdown with depression and a panic disorder. I'm now almost twenty and feel like I've thrown away two years of my life being sick. Still, therapy is ending and I'm feeling better every day. Things are looking up. There's just one problem.

My parents have made great strides and have been respectful of my decision to come out, but their homophobia still persists and I've realized that the core of my nervous breakdown might actually have been the conflict with my parents and the resentment I feel towards them for not accepting me when I came out the first time (which caused all this crap).
    I've already lost most of my faith after all the rejection and apathy I experienced in my church, but I also think I'm losing it because I feel i have to in order to be able to distance myself from my parents' ideology. I'm just so angry at everyone and everything christian. I could rage all day.

Today I had a discussion with my parents about why I became sick and I tried to explain how betrayed I felt by my (ex)faith community (I also hinted I might blame them but was hesitant because I hate direct conflict) and how this influenced me to have the nervous breakdown and land in therapy in the first place.
    What made me so furious is that they wouldn't take responsability. They say my breakdown wasn't my fault but when I try to tell them it was the faith they taught me that did this me they brush it off and refuse to take responsability for their part in instilling and feeding it. Sure my own personality caused this in part (perfectionistic, idealistic etc etc), but I don't think its fair to blame me for taking a belief-system I was taught 'too seriously'.
    And honestly, isn't that the point of any religion to begin with? To take it seriously?
    I'm so frustrated right now!

So my question is what to do. Do I just let this go and let the bitterness sizzle away over time (or fester) or do I confront them about it?
    How do I move on?
    I really don't want to forgive them. I just want to rage and harbour resentment.
    But do I need to in order to be able to move on?

2. awildscrewup

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly i feel pretty much the same way. It's painful and sucks. religion, especially Christianity, is one of those things that no one ever wants to blame. Even when yeah this is becuase of the religion. Honestly, the best I can do sometimes is just to roll my eyes and remember that they don't know or understand who I am right now and maybe they will someday but for now I just let it go, becuase believe me fights with parents about religion and ideology can get ugly real fast, especially if you inherited a temper from them. Be honest with them, tell them up front why you're upset, but when they get angry and try to pull you into an argument things get heated an no one learns anything. Just tell them something and let them think on it. Emotional heart to hearts make way more progress

3. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my mom and she and the rest of my immediate family members are very homophobic and what I've learned over the years is that you just can't convince them to accept you no matter what. They will have to come to terms with it in their own time, if that's possible. I had tried all kinds of things to get them to love me or accept me like my other siblings. I even try to buy them and eventually, I discovered that I was being taking advantage of by doing this. A lot of horrible things they did to me had made me consider suicide at one time. However, after going through counseling which helped me embrace my sexuality and to be satisfied with my family's homophobia. Unfortunately, although they made it easy for me to do this, I moved away at a distance from them...not in a nearby neighborhood and I did not give out my phone numbers to none of them and I did not see them for almost three years. I had a close knit of friends around me who had family that supported them and they became my substitute family during this time. The re connection with family came when one of my younger siblings saw me leaving a restaurant after work and she approached me. However, I still did not come around them for years and she was the only one I would have contact with from time to time. This is what worked for me because it became very apparent that I had to make myself happy and put my focus on living my life for me and not them especially when they made it quite clear that I was not accepted by them. Another plus with this separation was that I became a very strong and very independent individual and to this day, my siblings still have issues with me not only with my sexuality, but with my independence because they are very co dependent upon each other. In conclusion, I think you will have to do the same and live your life. Let them come around on their own if its meant to be.

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is hard because they are your parents, but at this point you should focus on living your life your way. You have to take care of yourself first, worry about their happiness later.

I have argued with a couple religious people endlessly. Some can change and others you would get more accomplished actually beating your head on a wall. Its one of those fights, that isn't worth fighting. Just hang in there and take care of yourself.