1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New, Confusing Relationship and Struggling for Self Acceptance

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by wallflower93, Jun 15, 2016.

1. wallflower93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello, I'm relatively new here and I've only posted twice. In my first post a few weeks ago I described my general struggle and confusion regarding my sexual orientation...something I am still struggling to work through.

One of the big things that has brought a lot of confusing feelings to the surface is that I've had a huge crush on this guy I know from school since January. I've had crushes on girls before when I was young...just "puppy dog crushes" though and nothing serious. Three years ago I had a huge crush on a girl in my class. Nothing amounted from it, and when I think about it now I could never think of her in a sexual manner. Only holding hands and all that romantic stuff from the movies. Since then I've felt nothing for no one, until I started having really strong feelings for this guy. The feelings were really sudden and it was hard to accept having them, it still kind of is. The thing that is different about the crush I had on that girl three years ago and with this guy is that I can think of him in a sexual manner.

A few months later we ended up talking at a school event and walking home together after it ended. I found out we had an immense amount in common and tons of similar interests. I started to fall for him even more. I always suspected that he was gay but I didn't know for certain, and I wouldn't ask because I don't think it's my business to ask things like that and it should be up to the individual to share stuff like that with whom they choose.

Flash forward almost two months: we end us messaging on Facebook about something school related and we get off topic. He gives me his number so we can text, and we texted daily for a few weeks. As we messaged my feelings for him intensified. It made me very confused and I struggled with my sexual orientation even more. He ended up asking me out on a date, I agreed, and we had a really nice time. We talked for three hours at a bar, then went back to his place and listened to the best music and talked even more. Nothing physical happened at all, we just sat or laid on his bed and talked. It felt different from anything I had ever felt before...it felt normal.

We went on a second date again about a week later (with this date being last night). We ended up in his room again watching a film we both really enjoy, then we listened to more really awesome music. He knows what my out status is and that things are still really new to me and I'm still trying to figure things out. He said this doesn't have to be a public thing because he's only out to a few close friends. He said he doesn't want to pressure me into anything because he was once pressured into things by a guy and he doesn't want to do anything like that with me. For the record I've never dated anyone, held someone's hand or even kissed another person. So long story short after much sexual tension we end up kissing. We just kissed a bunch and I made it very clear that I was in no way ready to do anything more than that right now and he was really respectful of that. It was a mix of lust and subtle terror...because I had never kissed someone before and I had NO IDEA what I was doing!

So anyway, that's the story. I really like him, I like being around him, I like talking to him, and sometimes when I'm not around him I think "wow, he's the only person I want to be talking to right now"...and I really liked kissing him. This is now the morning after all this happened and I'm having a lot of confusing feelings surface again. It was easier to deal with them when we were just texting back and fourth...but last night things got more real and it's freaking me out a little bit. It's freaking me out because I've never been in a relationship before. I'm used to only having myself and no one else and I've never known anything other than that. The thought of being too dependent on someone else other than myself is new and terrifying for me. What adds to the confusion is the fact that the other individual is a guy, which really only adds to the confusion and difficulty with working through and accepting my sexual identity...something that is still very much new to me and very much a work in progress.

What I'm worried and unsure about about now is what I should do next. I feel very pulled in two directions. Should I see him more and endure more of what's already happening? (Lust and potentially more confusion.) Or should I stop seeing him until I can better process what I'm feeling, and work towards being more accepting of myself and my sexual orientation.

I was feeling really upset this morning and was very overwhelmed with what to do and what I was feeling. Just typing tho message out and getting my thoughts out of my head and somewhere for someone to see has helped, but any words of advice would be wonderful. Thank you.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like, for the most part, things have gone pretty well. :slight_smile: Before kissing, everything you had to say about this guy was positive, and it seems like he's been very respectful of your boundaries here also, which is great!

I would suggest a couple things. Keep being open with him about what you like and what you don't like. Want to sit/lay together and talk again, and nothing else? Great, say that! Want to hold off on kissing again for now? Great, say that too!

Also, if you haven't already, it might be helpful to have other people (one or more, amount is up to you) to talk to outside of the relationship about your thoughts and feelings. Sometimes we might think that the other person we're dating suddenly becomes our one source of support, and the only one we go to when we need help, but that's just not the case, nor is it really healthy for a relationship. It's good to have someone else to bounce thoughts off of! So, it could be a friend/family member, a counselor (formal or not, could even just be at school, whoever you're comfortable with), someone/people on EC, or whoever. Long story short, even if you two are steering the ship, relationships aren't islands. Don't be afraid to include others on the sidelines. :slight_smile:

3. mirkku

Hello~ Well, he does seem like a great and respectful man, so really good for you here, choice well made! :slight_smile:

You might indeed need a bit of time to process your feeling and coming to grip with your sexual orientation, and accepting who you are. You know the drill - those who don't love themselves have a hard time with relationship and love of other etc, etc. Given how respectful he seems to be, I'm pretty sure that telling him that you need time off from time to time to focus on your own feelings will not be an issue.

Honest and constant communication about your boundaries, feelings and needs will be the key here. Good luck! (*hug*)

4. robclem21

I agree with everything that Gravity said above and I will also add that times when we are confused can often tempt us into doing something drastic and decisive. The feeling of confusion and uneasiness can often push us into making a decision to escape the feelings. I would recommend riding this out and being honest with him and yourself the entire way. Don't shy away from feelings of being uncomfortable because that is often the time we learn and discover new things about ourselves and grow.

He sounds like a great person whom you can be comfortable with and explore together. Maybe you will end up liking it, maybe you wont, maybe it will pick up, maybe it will slow down. There really is no need on your end to push or pull. Just take every day as it is and see what happens. There is no way to know if you will process better with him or alone, there is no way to know if the confusion will get better with time or worse. It is uncomfortable, but sometimes you need to be outside your comfort zone to develop a new comfort zone. It is totally okay.

As always, find good people for support, here included, and good luck on your journey. I've been out for 4 years now and I still don't always know where to go or what to do. There are always new experiences that are both exciting and scary. That's a good thing, you should embrace it.