1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom won't let me go

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Libra Neko, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This has nothing to do with being bi, but it is the current dilemma I'm living with; I'm curious what advice I might get.
    I have been living with my parents my whole life: not because I'm a lazy mooch. My mom always convinces me that I should stay.
    This has been happening on and off for many years. Whenever I decide I want to move out, she discourages me and doesn't help me.
    A little background: I have a severe mental illness. My onset was at a shockingly young age: elementary school. It has eased a lot and I can deal pretty well with life now. I'm in treatment, on meds, and thriving. However, many of the problems I had when I was young are still with me because of that illness. For instance, I never got a driver's license when I was young, so I'm not good at driving. And there are no buses in my neighborhood, so I rely on my mom for transportation more often than not.
    Basically I never learned to fend for myself, because I was ill and my mom was there to take care of me. She is a "functioning" alcoholic. She has threatened that she will increase her drinking if I move out, because she will be "worried" about me.
    I'm 36 and sick of this. I can't afford to live near my parents because they have lots of money. If I move to a different part of town, things will be harder.
    I want to move out, especially to not have to live with my dad, who is also an alcoholic. He is a selfish jerk and I can't stand how he only cares about himself. He isn't careful about keeping doors closed, putting our cats at risk; there are coyotes in our area. Plus, I suspect he might have molested me when I was a little kid.
    So I need to leave. Any thoughts?

2. Really

I think if you feel you are able to and have a way to support yourself, you should do it. Your parents don't sound like the healthiest people to be around.

I get the impression your mother talks you out of going when you bring it up. If this is the case, I would make all the necessary arrangements and then just tell her that you're going. Not blunt like that but in a way that there's no mistaking you mean it.

Small tip: Pick somewhere close to public transit. :slight_smile:

3. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have SSI, monthly money because of my disability. I would definitely want to be near a bus stop, or even better, a bus station. Good idea!