1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BBELTsannamon, Jun 19, 2016.

1. BBELTsannamon

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have been very baffled recently. I am starting to think that I may be transgender (currently female) I have been trying to figure out weather or not I should tell my mom, sister, dad or no one at all. I am probably closest to my sister but she is younger and will probably not understand what should I do? Should I even tell anyone at all?

2. katey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that its a good idea to discuss it with someone. If you think your family will react well and will be open to it then it would be good to talk to them. If not, then definitely talk to someone because its not good to keep feelings bottled up, especially if you are uncertain about your gender. I dont know how helpful this advice is but i didnt want to read and run :slight_smile:
    Best of luck! :slight_smile:

3. BBELTsannamon

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you so much for the feedback. I think that I will hold off on telling family for now and start off by telling a few of my close friends.

4. katey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That sounds like a good plan to me :slight_smile: keep us updated and I really hope it turns out okay :grin:

5. Tyler hereforu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What is your age? Can you tell us why you started thinking you might be transgender?

6. Reggie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My transgender FTM/genderqueer child recently came out to us.

They were extremely relieved. They had been out with a few friends for a few months before, but they were still nervous. I can totally understand that. If it goes wrong, well...that's an uncomfortable living situation. But...if it goes well...it's a giant relief. We're now able to start figuring out how to help them be themselves.

I imagine it would be difficult to see a therapist by yourself or to talk with a medical doctor.

Are they religious? I don't want to assume they are Christian. If they are, this might help give you some guidance on where they might stand:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominational_positions_on_homosexuality

I've been researching the religious stances of our relatives in an effort to help prepare my child in coming out to the extended family. And it doesn't look like it will be easy. :slight_smile: But that's ok...because I'll be there to help support when they do.

I can tell that my child is happier now that they don't have to hide this aspect of themselves.