1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professor/Student (former student) Relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by caramel99, Jun 19, 2016.

1. caramel99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Last semester, I had two classes with an amazingly gorgeous lesbian professor. It’s been months since I’ve seen her, and I cannot for the life of me stop thinking about her. We both had a mad mutual attraction for one another, but because of the policy against student/professor relationships, neither one of us made a move. She’s worked her ass off for years to get to where she is, and I have since avoided taking any of her classes just because my feelings for her are so strong, I would not want to put her career in jeopardy if other students were to pick up on it or catch us in our “staring sessions.”

It all started in Week 3 of the semester when one day I asked her a question, and she looked down at me only to answer in a lower sexier tone that I haven’t heard her use with other students. After that I began to wonder if she was attracted to me, until one day when we held each others gaze and that pretty much confirmed it. She was sitting across from the student sitting right next to me, and I was looking down at my notes, when I looked up I caught her staring at me. I held her gaze for a good 5 seconds without blinking and she flinched first, quickly looking away at my classmate. It was an “Oh shit! She totally caught me staring” look on her face. The sexual tension between us in the classroom became very thick immediately after that. I also noticed she started dressing up and her wardrobe changed from flip-flops and khaki pants to high heels and designer dresses. Lord...I just about lost my mind when she would play with her necklace and smile at me with her head tilted. When talking directly to each other our eyes were always out of control and constantly scanning each others faces moving from eyes to lips and back. I purposely avoided her office hours because if we were left alone, there would be a great chance of our feelings for one another being up for discussion and things would most likely develop from there. We are both single and there is a 10 year age difference.

I know that I have to wait to be out of the University before pursuing anything with her, but is this still a bad idea? I don’t care if it’s frowned upon... I am just concerned if there are any legal repercussions for dating a former student. Even if I’ve graduated could she feel any ramifications for dating a former student? The wait is so excruciating.. but she is definitely worth it.

:bang:

2. AmyBee

Well, people get attracted to each other when they're around each other and you two just happened to be professor/student when you were around each other. There's that power inequality, but if that's a big issue and you feel that waiting is best I can't see anything wrong with pursuing a relationship after you've graduated. If she's down with it, then where you met is no one's biz.

3. yuanzi

I personally know three professors in my department who dated/married graduate students from the same university and I feel there are a lot more such cases. It only becomes inappropriate if there is a conflict of interest (like an advisor dating/marrying his or her own student before the student graduates etc). You are undergraduate and of legal age I assume? In that case I don't see any problem at all if your professor is not in a position to supervise you or grant you personal favors.

Just make sure it is the person you are attracted to not the fantasy of dating an authority figure :slight_smile:

4. caramel99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you very much for your advice. I will definitely take all of this into consideration. Its just the damn waiting to "pounce" lol.