1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you tackle intrusive parents (and other people)?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MatH, Jun 22, 2016.

1. MatH

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I paid a lot of thought into where this thread should go - it's about coming out and gender expression as well as relationships with family (and other people), but I don't know. Maybe it's not that important.

So. I've always been sort of a so called tomboy, but my mum didn't really approve of that, and being a quiet and generally indifferent person, I just went with most of what she wanted me to do. However, pretty much exactly a year ago I decided it was enough, and I started doing what I had always wanted to (like having short hair and wearing not-skinny jeans and buttoned shirts and stuff). The last few months she's been all over about it, really trying to get me to tell her what's up, and today she came home and into my room and blurted out "who are you, and who do you want to be?", but since I barely know that myself, I just said I didn't know, that it didn't matter. Because to me it doesn't. I am who I am, and that's it for me. And if someone wants to label me something, sure, but I don't care.

Later she came back and had been crying, repeating "I just think you're making it difficult for yourself", and sure, maybe I do, but what the heck, she's the one making it difficult.

I'm 17, I know what I'm doing. I mean, sure, I do bad decisions together with the good ones, but it's my life, and I while I appreciate her concern, I don't give a damn about her opinion in this.

I'm starting to realize how little sense I'm making right now, but I really just wanted to get it out. I guess:

TLDR; Mum is starting to hate me for not coming out to her, and while she isn't lbtq-phobic, I'm not feeling confident enough to do it for now. Feel free to post any advice or personal story or whatever comment you might have on this. I appreciate it.

2. TheAnon32

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I told my mom, I had a plan. I spent month writing, rewriting, editing and reading over a letter I wrote to her explaining all that I've gone through and what I was dealing with to reach where I was then to to say that I was gay. I gave it to her and she still had many questions and really didn't know what to do. A few months later I bought her this book called "this is a book for parents of gay kids" by Dannielle Owens-Reid and Kristin Russo. I read through it before and then gave it to her. It is just what it says. It is a guide for parents who have no idea how to cope with and understand their lgbt child. It really helped.

3. MatH

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That is a good idea. I hate talking, and would rather just leave it and for her to just know it and find it out herself, no questions asked. But I know that'd make her really upset, and so by writing a letter it'll still be me telling her. When I feel like telling her, that is.