1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should i tell my mother?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by jenne, Jun 25, 2016.

1. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this is so embarrasing.. yesterday i was in a bad mood i started thinking that i'm all alone and i can't pretend anymore to be somebody that i'm not (i'm not out to anyone) so i told my mother that i'm a little depressed that i'm different from anyone that i know and that no one understands me (she doesn't know about me) and i didn't tell her anything more just that and today she texted my sister and she asked her IF IM LESBIAN! i'm shocked.. she also told my sister that all she wants is to see me happy and all that but i feel embarassed that they talked about me behind my back this makes me so uncomfortable it's like a personal issue and i don't want this be discussed.. well i know i shouldn't tell her anything from the beggining but i was overwelmed i needed somebody to talk to.. how do you feel when you..you know talk about your sexuality to your family?am i the only one that feels completely uncomfortable about this? how should i handle this? should i let my mother know ?

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like she would most likely be accepting of it given what she said to your sister so it would probably be a good thing to tell her if you are ready. It's normal to feel uncomfortable talking about sexuality, especially gay-related things when you are in the closet since it feels like the spotlight is on you. But after people know that you are gay, it is much easier and not really a big deal to discuss those things, at least that is how I look at it now. An easy way to go about telling her is to bring up the fact that you know/heard she talked to your sister and that she asked her if you were a lesbian, at which point you can say that you are. It just has to be something you're ready to do. I will say it is a huge relief and weight off your shoulders once you start coming out to those who are important to you and can be yourself around them.