1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried About Friend's Homophobic Dad Finding Out I'm Gay

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tatiyanna, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Tatiyanna

Tatiyanna Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've got two friends I came out to about a year or so ago; we'll call them R and L. They're sisters, and you've likely guessed by the title they grew up with and still have for that matter a dad who isn't the most supportive of the LGBT community. It's been tough for them to accept who I am, it still is to an extent but that's a whole different story. Their mom somehow found out the fact that I'm gay and it was a little awkward between us at first but she's completely fine with it now; their dad, however is what I'm worried about. I'm not the most optimistic person and I've had bad experiences with coming out and/or being forced back into the closet so I might just be overthinking this but I'd like some ideas or advice on how to either stop being so anxious about this, or even how to handle it if he does find out. I'm close with R and L; we hang out frequently, hug a lot, the whole nine yards. It's mainly the way L acts that's making me worry. Whenever her dad is around, even just in the house when we're Skyping or hanging out and my lesbianism comes up, whether it's me cracking a joke about it or casually mentioning a cute female celebrity; things like that in passing since she's still very, very iffy about the whole subject of me being gay and her dad is around she'll either mute the Skype call or try to shush me and change the subject rather loudly. I've asked her why she's muted the call, etc before and she's told me flat out that her dad doesn't know I'm gay and he would have a bad reaction to it. Now I'm a little paranoid. :icon_sad: I'm pretty sure he'd think that I'm trying to make advances on his daughters; maybe even ban me from seeing them completely as he's a very protective father and wouldn't want some "corrupt homosexual" trying to get into their pants which I'm not and have absolutely no interest in doing. Am I overthinking this; is L overthinking this too for that matter?