1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Want to Go Back in the Closet, But Value Their Friendship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tatiyanna, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Tatiyanna

Tatiyanna Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me preface this with saying the area I live in and groups I'm able to connect with are generally conservative aside from my best friend; most aren't crazily against the LGBT community but they're definitely not for it. That being said the two friends that I came out to (let's call them S and C) are a little less extreme but aren't an exception. I came out to them about a year and a half-two years ago; it's been rough for them to accept it to say the very least and it still is. I can't talk about girls I find attractive or about girls I'm interested in without C getting uncomfortable; I actually ended up just telling she and S I'm over a girl I'm majorly crushing on because of that despite the fact I'm still heavily into her. C has been the most uncomfortable with my being gay; she's done this a lot more while S has just been a bit overly sensitive to what she says now, it seems like every time she slips up and says I'm into boys she thinks I'll get extremely offended. It's a bit awkward. Any ideas on how to handle this? I value their friendship but at the same time I don't want to end up back in the closet. I've already talked to C one or two times about how this makes me feel but it hasn't done much; S has been a lot better about this though I'd like to let her know I'm not going to get upset or offended if she says something about being gay, or jokes about boys to me. C has been homophobic in the past, telling me that being gay/lesbian is unnatural, gross, that she hopes someday I'll get with a boy, that I'm breaking her heart by being gay, etc but I haven't heard those comments recently luckily. Any advice, ideas or thoughts are appreciated. :help:

2. love23cali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My thought - stop spending time with C. She's stressing you out. She's making you feel horrible about yourself. She can't accept you.

She's not a friend.

I don't waste time on people that offend me or try to make me feel lesser about myself. Refuse to let people do that to you. If she's sad about you slipping away, then maybe she'll come back a nicer person. If you can, just hang out with S one on one when you get the chance. Do you have other friends in your life you can start spending some more time with as well?

#2 love23cali, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  3. SpTara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should talk with S and let her know it's ok if she jokes about you and men, being gay doesn't mean you won't laugh at jokes (as long as they're not hurtful of course). Try to make it as natural as possible, sometimes conservative people need more time to get confortable around this issues, and she seems nice enough.

Regarding C, I wouldn't lose time with her, since it seems she's not doing anything to accept you... Maybe she's not as good a friend as you think.

Good luck!

4. Tatiyanna

Tatiyanna Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your reply. I'm attending a support group at the moment and also have my best friend; I have a few people who I'm able to rely on and spend more time with luckily. Unfortunately as S and C are sisters I might not be able to spend time with her one on one but I'll definitely try. At the moment I'm planning to talk to C one last time; to tell her that I'm sick of being made to feel awful about myself and that if she can't accept me for who I am then it's time to go our separate ways.