1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arguing with family..

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by D456, Jun 29, 2016.

1. D456

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In advance, I'm sorry that this is going to be a bit of a rant, I think I just need a bit of reassurance...

For context, my mom knows I'm bi, i told her a few months ago and she did the typical, maybe it's just a phase, but I know that compared to some that's a very good response. I tried telling my brother a few years ago, but he made a joke out of it and said that i was drunk, which he's brought up as a 'funny' story every so often... so i don't believe he thinks I am.

Anyway, so now my brother is dating a girl who is also bi. For completely separate reasons the relationship is not working, but when I was speaking to my mother and brother last night they were both centring in on it being because she was bi, but they were arguing about it. My mom was saying that as she's bi she's intrinsically not right for him and means she is complicated and not traditional, but my brother was arguing that she can still be traditional because she has chosen to be with a man so she can have a family - because he doesn't think gay people can have families... I tried to ignore what they were saying and focus on helping my brother sort out the real problems in the relationship, but when i was leaving my mom once again was saying to me about how a bi girl could never be right for him, and i snapped a bit saying how do you think hearing that makes me feel mom?! which she didn't really reply to.

I'm just sick of constantly being in this environment of homophobia, i hear it constantly at work and then when i go to see my family I hear it too! :bang:

2. kobra kid

That was definitely out of line for her to say, knowing that you're bi. You were right to call her out on it, though. That must really suck to hear stuff like that from your mom, and I'm sorry you have to deal with that. They really shouldn't have blamed the problems on the girlfriend's sexuality, either. It's close-minded and just lets the real issue continue. I hope your family comes to their senses soon and realizes that it isn't okay to say things like that, and that your brother realizes that bisexuality is valid and that he can find the solution to the real problems in his relationship. You shouldn't have to deal with them saying hurtful things.