1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age gap

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Udexybabs, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Udexybabs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, I am in a bit of bother..

So I have been on and off with an ex for about a year now, and recently I have moved far away so we're off because distance just won't work for us. I have recently started to talk to a guy. He's nice cool etc, and we've met up 3 times. I originally just wanted him as a friend as I'm leaving this town after Christmas. However, today we kissed and I'm feeling a bit guilty.

I'm 20 and he's 17.

I don't know what to tell people! Is it normal for a guy my age to start something with a 17 year old? How do I tell my ex? I'm so confused and just need some advice cause I know my friends and family will hate it and I just need an outside perspective.

Thanks guys

2. thepandaboss

First off, what country are you in? Age of consent laws really do vary by country.

BUT, and this is a huge one, in a lot of jurisdictions, the age of consent is 18 and I really doubt that so-called Romeo/Juliet laws are going to be a lot of help in your case.

My advice? Step away for a while and wait until your beau turns 18. I'm sure he's nice, I'm sure you have chemistry. But the fact of the matter is, unless you live in a country where the age of consent is under 18, the age gap is dodgy.

3. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's only 3 years...
    I suppose if you have your parents approval, but it really is not that big of a gap. Considering my parents are 11 years apart, and grandparents similarly so.

4. Udexybabs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in Ireland and the age of consent is 17, so I'm not doing anything wrong legally I guess

5. thepandaboss

^ Okay, if that's the case, it shouldn't be too bad. I'm just from the US and we're 18. The idea of a 20 yr old dating a 17 yr old still makes me feel weird, so I apologize.

But as far as age gaps go, 3 years isn't the worst. Personally, I've never been with a sexual partner who wasn't at least 5 years older... And I'm 21.

6. Unicorn101

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So 3 years is not a big deal in the long run. The gap is acceptable.

The dodgy end, as was so eloquently stated, comes from the ages of 17 and 20. Personally I think you have to really think about the emotional state of both you and him are in. At 17 I was not ready for a relationship and the weight that carried despite the words that came out of my mouth. But that being said I am sure some 17 year olds are, but that emotional development has to catch up. At 20 I think you have to ask yourself is it him you really want, or just someone to be close to?

I mean this in the nicest way possible. However would urge you you to consider who is more likely to bear the consequences should things go sideways.... you who has had a relationship or the 17 year old who is setting out for the first time.

Food for thought.

7. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple years isn't damaging, but I can see how you could get into some legal issues because of his age. Then again, every country's legal age is different.