1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to support a closeted friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by crazydog15, Jul 4, 2016.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I think I've posted about this before, but I was thinking about it again today: how do you support a friend who is closeted and in an opposite-sex marriage? I came out to a friend a while back, and his response was surprising, suggesting that he isn't as straight as I always thought he was. And he's dropped a couple of hints since then about seeking LGBT counseling. For full disclosure, I love this man, and I would totally give a relationship with him a chance, but right now, I just want to support him during what could be a really difficult emotional time. I've talked about him to a couple of other people, and they concur that he may be really struggling right now.

Any advice?

2. Really

Would he go to the LGBT centre with you? Or a pride event? If you presented it as him supporting you? Do you think if he had a bit more exposure to supportive environments he might think about making changes for himself?

Maybe he was indirectly asking for help getting LGBT counselling. Perhaps there's a drop in group you two could go to.