1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cultural Differences

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by HBI, Jul 7, 2016.

1. HBI

HBI

If you were in an LDR, would you end it over cultural differences? I don't want to get into the details, but it's the norm in my girlfriend's country regarding pets would be considered horrendous and inhumane in any first world country. Anyway, there was an incident regarding one of her pets, and I'm considering breaking up over it. She wants me to live there, and I don't if I can live in a place like that. And yes, I'm judging her based on her cultural situation.

2. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That seems like an unhealthy relationship from the start, But as it stands maybe just discus how her countries pet laws are making you feel.

If your speaking about Korea, well.
    They still have regular pets too.

#2 NoXsOrOs, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  3. HBI

HBI

Update. While the tragedy was happening, I told my girlfriend I had to go away for a while because I was feeling ill. I came back a few hours later, and she was upset with me for "going away" and to me to go away again and not come back.

4. CharacterStudy

A relationship which contains cultural differences is absolutely possible, but it requires a lot more thought and care, and both of you need to be able to discuss things, respect each other's opinions even if you don't agree.

I am in a mixed culture marriage (nationality, language, religion, politics, animal treatment all different, though same continent). Overall we have more in common, the fundamentals of how we treat people and ethical considerations, than we have that are different, but it does take more work, and sometimes you do long for someone who completely gets your viewpoint and shared cultural references.

In times of stress or arguments the cultural difficulties can become a problem unless we are very careful - sometimes a language misunderstanding, sometimes I think he is speaking aggressively (loud, hand waving) when actually it is cultural. I work with people from all over the world and am pretty good at finding commonalities and overcoming cultural differences, BUT it takes a lot more work in a personal relationship.

One thing is to try to use 'that makes me feel...', NOT 'you make me feel', or 'you are wrong...' You need to sit down and talk about differences generally, how your background's are different and may mean you react in ways that are unexpected or upsetting to the other person.

5. HBI

HBI

My wonderful, loving girlfriend who told me to go away texted me in the middle of the night, because she couldn't sleep. I comforted her. Then she ignored me the whole next day, and posted on her social media accounts pix of her partying with friends. Yeah, sure she's in mourning. I bet I showed more remorse for her dog than she did. Of course she's posting the pix to rub it in my face, and make me upset. She knows I'm depressed, sad, and alone, and she's rubbing it in. I hope she gets what she deserves.