1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sister thinks I'm confused

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PennyT, Jul 7, 2016.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my sister today, and she thinks that I'm not actually gay. She says that the gay-friendly society has influenced me into thinking that I'm gay. She also says that being gay would make my life so much more difficult, and that it will probably destroy my relationship with our dad. She says that she won't believe me until I begin dating women, and even then it will take awhile. I appreciate her honesty but I don't like how it makes me feel.

It's also making me have familiar doubts. But I know I'm gay. I've found women attractive. I've had a major crush on a girl, and I've never had a major crush on a guy. I know I'm gay, but what she's saying hurts and makes me second guess myself.

Any advice?

2. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Screw what your sister said. Only you get to define your sexuality.

3. glenriver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whenever my dad says something transphobic or homophobic, I too occasionally question and second guess myself. It's done nothing for me, because I know that I'm trans and gay. Have faith in yourself. As Peter said, only you can define your own sexuality, because, well, it's you. :slight_smile:

4. mirkku

:rolle: Well someone is certainly confused, but spoiler alert: it's not you.

Your sister says that the gay-friendly society makes you think you're gay, but at the same time that being gay will make things much more difficult for you? That's an interesting logic.

It doesn't matter what she says. If she repeatedly tells you things of that kind, just look her in the eyes, and say - "Stop. It is not about you, what you think I'm feeling, or who you think I am. You don't. Your words are hurting me and I'm not gonna take it anymore." (You can sing that last bit. Always makes its little effect.)

In any case, try to remain on good terms with your family, because it's always the best option. Is your dad really that homophobic, or is your sister only speculating here? Are you considering coming out to him?

Stay strong! o/ (*hug*)