1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I convince my mom that I'm Serious?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Loolaa, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Loolaa

I came out as transgener to my mom about a year ago, but at that time, she said something along the lines of, "I don't think you're old enough to know that." That kind of got me upset, but I just figured she didn't know. Other than that she seemed supportive and said we could do research and maybe talk to my doctor about it. After a couple weeks, though, she stopped talking about it and I didn't know how to bring it up so I never said anything.

Somewhere in between then and now, I had to dress fancy for a school band concert, so my mom was giving me some pretty feminine clothes. I said something like, "I already told you I don't want to have to dress in those types of clothes anymore," and she didn't understand so I got pretty upset. Later, I heard her telling my dad how "I completely overreacted over clothes," and I realized she thought I was just a tomboy who didn't like feminine clothes and that I "got over that phase."

I know she didn't realize that she was being rude, but it still hurts. What can I do to let her know I still want to be a boy? Do I have to come out again?

2. PerdHapley

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unfortunately it seems like you're going to have to respectfully keep following your heart and show in your words and actions that this isn't a phase for you. I had to have the talk with my mum about my sexuality three times between the age of fifteen and now. It's hard dealing with stubborn parents but she clearly doesn't understand. Maybe you could try sit her down and explain it properly to her?