1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Step Mom!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by IamCasey, Jul 13, 2016.

1. IamCasey

My Dad remarried recently and he seems happy. She has 2 kids, a boy 15 and a girl 13. And the 2 weekends I spent with them went ok. That is until today. Dad and new step mom took me to get some new jeans and while Dad was getting somethings he needed she sat with me and waited. She sat real close and told me that Dad explained me to her??? That it was ok that I thought I was gay but that I was too cute to be gay and that someday I would meet a girl and be happy with her.

I did not say a word. I am mad at Dad that he told her without asking me
    I am mad that she thinks I will change

Why do people have such a hard time believing that someone my age can know they are gay?

2. Anastaisa_Lynn_14

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think its just your dad holding on to the ideal son image in his head, along with ur step mom. just be paitent and they will come around, my parents are slowly adjusting to me and when i first came out to them it seemed like such a long time to wait but trust me, time flies.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your father should not have outed you; however, he may have somehow felt it was for the better. Some sort of "save my son embarrassment" thing...

I think there are a lot of possible reasons why people have trouble believing someone 13 knows he's gay. Sometimes wishful thinking (particularly a parent who dreams of one day having grandchildren). Some people may honestly think it's "just a phase."

I have to admit I struggled with the question of how does a 13 year old know he's gay when I first joined EC. How can one know at 13? I wondered. And yet...I realized in time that I could probably have realized at 13. I had some very strong attractions to other boys at that age. But I didn't understand it because I didn't understand what being gay was, and I'd been heavily programmed into the "man meets woman, they fall in love..." spiel that the thought of dating/being in a relationship with another guy never crossed my mind until many, many years later. In my case, coming out to myself forced me to reevaluate my 13 year old self. But...many people won't reevaluate their 13 year old selves. Many people don't even really remember what it was like being 13.

In the end, though, what matters is not what others think. What matters is what you know about yourself. Unfortunately, while this "he doesn't know because he's 13" will pass, you will encounter lots of people who don't accept someone is really gay. Even in 2016, there are people who'd say that I--a man in his 40s--is "confused." Or has made a "lifestyle choice."

4. IamCasey

My Mom and Bro accept me and love me
    Dad said he did too but was a bit hesitant. I am not sure if what she said is from her, him, or them combined.

---------- Post added 13th Jul 2016 at 06:03 PM ----------

Until lately I had been not exactly sure as I had no experience. But now as I said in another post I am 100% sure I am gay. :thumbsup: And I know time won't change that.

Thanks for the responses guys!