1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight guy friend in love with me?? Help?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Miri, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Miri

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've posted here before a few times about my shit love life, but here's a new plot twist: right as my maybe closet crush who's in a relationship with a guy decided to stop talking to me, my best guy friend decided to tell me he's in love with me! And he knows about my sexuality and everything. Yay, my life (and probably his, and maybe hers) is hell.

So to elaborate, he's one of my best guy friends and I admire him very much. He's smart, sweet, talented, sensitive, and very kind, and he has vowed to do whatever it takes to find me happiness with the right girl, despite acknowledging his feelings for me. He knows all about the trials and tribulations of my long distance crush and he helps me with her, which I honestly feel very guilty about knowing how much it must hurt him to hear me talk about her. He's a great guy, and honestly if I were straight I'd probably be in love with him, which is part of why I feel so horrible about this.

My sister likes him and he sort of likes her too, so I want to set them up, but I know how it is with feelings and I just...I don't know what to do, even though he puts on a brave face the hurt sort of comes out sometimes. And he knows how hurt I am over my crush's behavior, how I'm worried that I'm falling out of love with her, even though that might be for the best, and how I still want to give us a chance when I can visit her country in a few years, even despite all we've been through, and how we might not even be talking after this. He listens to all this and he still says he wants to help me in any way he can, with her, or any other girl I love. He's so kind that it makes me ashamed that I can't give him what he wants. It makes me ashamed to have loved her honestly.

Anyone else ever been in this situation? Advice?

#1 Miri, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. Ben369

Ben369 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi @Miri,

It sounds like you felt dreadful and guilty after realizing that, all this time, while you are painfully fighting for your relationship with your crush, a kind male friend has developed romantic feelings for you and even willing to the extend of helping you in finding happiness with your current relationship.

What does your intuition tell you? I would try to honestly ask myself, deep down, whom do I sexually/romantically prefer: whether its male, female, both, or more preference on either sides. And honestly ask myself whether I truly have feelings for this male friend. And if I can really see myself being with him in the long term. Not just due to him being a good person who has gone through a lot on my behalf.

Irregardless of the type of relationships, a healthy relationship will often require both sides to be constantly compromising and working out issues together in the future. It takes two for a relationship to work so its important knowing what each other are getting themselves into.

If you are not able to have/develop feelings for this male friend, then perhaps it would be wiser to communicate your thoughts to him. Sit down and talk about it maturely and communicate what can be expected from each other now so that both sides can move forward with their lives. If both sides can come to an understanding, it doesn't have to cost the friendship. If he decides to let go of this friendship, that is okay too. Its his way to process his feelings in order to move forward. Just allow him the time and space.

If he still decides to continue helping you with your relationship, then its his decision and I would accept it gracefully. I would also try not to feel too guilty about it because as we become more mature, its important for us to learn to give and receive and to allow comfort/rejection, to ourselves and to others. It's simply a part of life.

I would just feel the guilt. Simply feel it filling your entire body. Feel the tightness and heaviness in your chest. Feel your breath. And just allow it to happen. You don't have to let the emotions take over you. As you process this feeling, you will also begin to move on forward in life.

I hope this helps.

Ben

#2 Ben369, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  3. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She's gay though... That's not how gay works...

I am in a similar situation to your friend, except I have a huge crush on my straight best friend and I would never tell her because I feel it would be selfish to put that on her. I also think your friend should have kept it to himself since he knew you are gay, but it's too late for that now.

That said, I love to help my friend and I am not doing it to get anything from her. I am doing it because I genuinely love her as a friend aside from the crush (which I hope goes away soon), and your friend sounds like he just honestly wants to be there for you too. So try not to feel so guilty about it! :slight_smile: I agree fully with this part of Ben369's comment:

Just make it really clear that nothing will ever happen, so he doesn't get the wrong idea. Men can have a difficult time wrapping their head around a woman being gay sometimes.

4. Ben369

Ben369 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I apologize if it came across differently from my intended meaning. I intended to ask this so that, being a lesbian, when she analyzed and answered the questions herself, she will come to realized that since she completely has no attraction to her male friend, it will be better for both sides, if she would let him know honestly about their situation. I hope it makes sense.

Ben

#4 Ben369, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  5. Miri

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, but to be fair...that is part of my problem. We're close and I love him very much, in that I care about him and don't want him to ever go or anything (and he told me today that there are reasons beyond his control that he might, so...complications?). I know that I'm "supposed" to like guys based on my biology and I can never help but wonder if I'm somehow suppressing my true attraction for guys, since I do form friendships and "get them" more easily when they're boys? And I'd feel awful on so many levels if I did like him like that, and was somehow tricking myself into thinking I'm gay, because I'm scared of relationships and haven't had them before (except one very happy one with my crush/erstwhile best friend). In all honesty, I do like him, it's just that I can't ever even think of doing sex with him without it being beyond awkward, I can't bring myself to see him as gorgeous or handsome or hot or anything and I'd feel weird sleeping in bed next to him or something... But people like my dad say sexual attraction isn't necessary for a relationship so long as it's with the right person. It's better to be with a man who's just your best friend than a woman that you love in every way. And dad has been pushing me to date him too, or at least leave the option open. But I think he deserves a woman who won't think he's awkward at all, who can think he's attractive and give him sex and passion... So how do I stop from agonizing over this?

6. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, your dad has no idea what he is talking about. Ask him to go get married to one of his best buddies and I am pretty sure he won't think it's such a great idea anymore. He probably just thinks you don't need to feel sexual attraction because it would be a straight relationship so you would be normal. The "right person" is someone you love entirely and who loves you entirely, that is the only "right person".

It sounds to me like you haven't fully accepted being gay yet, and you still want to try to make it work with guys because people around you tell you to. Being gay is a valid thing if that is who you are, don't go into a relationship you will regret just to please others because it will only hurt you and your friend in the end. In order to stop agonizing over it you have to decide on why you think having a relationship with him is an option. Is it because you genuinely want that or is it because of outside pressure? Then take action based on that.