1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I taking things too quickly or is he bad news?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Hugger115, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Hugger115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I met up with this guy for dates twice in 2 days and they went reeeeeeally well. He said he wanted to meet up again too. He's away with work for a week, but he's constantly on apps like (name of site removed by mod)whilst he's there. I was really paranoid, so spoke to him with a fake account and he basically sent nudes and arranged a hookup! He hasn't even messaged real me back in 4 days. If he does'nt message me back, that will be the end of it, but I don't know if 1. I'm taking it all too quickly and he just hasn't formed that bond with me that I already feel for him yet. Or 2. If this is a big red flag and I should stop now or risk being cheated on and hurt later???

2. iiimee

Did you mention you like exclusivity? Some guys are very used to playing around and won't be exclusive until you are official, and others just cheat.

3. Hugger115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We haven't mentioned exclusivity yet, but one of the first things I asked him was what he was looking for, and he said a bf. If he already likes me as much as I like him and he's treating this week as a 'last chance to hook up' sort of thing, I don't know if I could trust someone who thought like that. What do you think iiimee?

4. iiimee

:/ Well, that mindset of a "last week" already concerns me, but really it's up to you. The only thing I can really tell you is what I'd do, and what most people on here would advise you to do. Please decide for yourself though what is best. I've been in a bad relationship before, so I'm not sure how good what I would do is, but here's the honest answer:

What I would do (not was I necessarily suggest) is date for a little while and see how it goes. If I wanted an exclusive relationship, I'd still make that a rule, but I'd already basically confront that person with the facts that if either of us got bored of each other or no longer wanted a relationship we'd be open about it, but yeah, no cheating allowed or it's off anyway. XD Maybe you're not that forward, and that's okay- That's just my honest answer for what I'd do.

What most people on here will suggest? He seems like bad news and if what he does make you super uncomfortable you should just call it off, but if you're okay with this "last chance" stuff you should talk to him about it. If it seems like it will happen again during the relationship, break up with him. As I said, that's what most people on here will say- not necessarily what I suggest either. Really, this is something that you just have to "go with your gut on". I hope everything works out for you.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, the app you speak of isn't the place to look for a relationship with exclusivity, authenticity, and fidelity. You might find 1 in 10,000 that have it, but that's not what the app is about and you're almost certain to end up disappointed.

Second, -- and I don't mean this to be offensive, even though it comes off harsh -- if I were the other person, I'd run the other way. Your behavior is really stalkerish and getting obsessive about someone after a second date comes off as really clingy and dependent.

I get that this comes from a place of unworthiness in yourself, and that it's not something you intend on doing. So my best suggestion is that you might want to spend some time working on yourself and getting a handle on that behavior before looking for a relationship, because it is likely to be a very strong turn-off to anyone who has a healthy sense of self.

6. Hugger115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys!

Iiimee, what you would do sounds like what I'll try to do as long as it doesn't keep hurting my feelings. From how he's been messaging me, it sounds like he is (hopefully) just not that attached to me yet, rather than having a 'last chance' attitude. I can get over him hooking up this week as long as after a few more dates he isn't still on all the apps, but I'd prefer if he stopped using them of his own accord, rather than me telling him to stop.
    I'd happily confront him on what he wants as long as I don't come across as really needy and clingy, but I'll definitely do it when the time is right :slight_smile: My gut told me that he seemed genuine and as smitten as me which is why I was so hurt to find him arranging hookups. This has already been a massive turnoff though, so I can take it a little easier once I've got over this and just see what happens…

Chip, I know the apps aren't really the place to find love, but I try to make sure people are after the same thing as me from the start and I'm after something good, so I guess there must be SOME good people out there… Even if they are hard to find :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I know making fake accounts and stuff is really obsessive, but I think it's more that he seemed pretty much perfect to me (tall, handsome, clever, lives 5 min drive away, great job and a just really nice guy). I am terrible for falling for people, but I think I just get carried away easily. I definitely don't think of myself as unworthy or give off that vibe to people on dates and stuff. Don't take that the wrong way, I really appreciate that I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket, especially for a relationship with a guy off Gr*ndr.

7. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    idk. you arent really boyfriends so its not cheating. though i wouldnt do it out of respect for others, he could just still look around and hook up untill youre actually together. I personally wouldnt date him anymore, because its a pretty shitty thing to just do this while youre dating someone else. you can confront him, but he may try to get you back. dont end it and forget about him in that case

8. robclem21

Theses sites are basically designed to find partners through sheer volume, not by connection. There are just so many people that eventually someone is bound to find someone that they connect with. Since it is so easy to connect with so many people, it isn't common for people to give it up the second they have one or two good dates with someone, unless this is something that is specifically discussed.

As others have said, I wouldn't personally do it, but I know many quality people who would. I agree with chip that your behaviour after 2 dates is a bit concerning and that there is no need for you to stalk him after only a few hours of time together. Feel free to do as you want: If you aren't attracted to this new behaviour (sending nudes and casual dating) then stop seeing him. Alternatively, relax and see where it goes and let him do his own thing until you two become more committed.

I wouldn't become concerned until this pattern from him persists much longer into an actual relationship.

#8 robclem21, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  9. mangotree

Did you initiate contact with each other the same way? (nudes and/or hookup)
    That might tell you what he's really after / not after.

10. robotman

Personally, I think that you should just move on/keep him as a friend if you can. Although you didn't ask him if you two were exclusive he still hasn't replied to you messages in over 4 days like you said and he is messaging other people for hook ups. It doesn't seem like he is committed to finding someone at the moment.

Maybe you could give him a bit of the silent treatment and then talk to him in person about it, see if he would be up for a monogamous relationship, if not then keep him as a friend if you like him or just try and move on.

11. Hugger115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks everyone! We've arranged to meet up this weekend so we can have a full day together, so I'll let you know what happens.
    Mangotree - We met on an app, but not for a hookup and we haven't talked sexually or sent each other nudes. In fact, we were going to do stuff the first night, but he said he wanted to take it slowly, so we didn't.
    From how he's been messaging, I think he just takes longer than me to fall for someone. I mean, if he weren't into me, he wouldn't arrange more dates, but if he was smitten already, we'd be messaging all day long. With any luck, he just wants to take it slowly, but I'm not getting my hopes up just in case. If he still uses dating apps after 2 or so more dates, I'll talk to him about 'us' and see what he says. If he lies about the apps, obviously I'll call it off, but I'll have to wait and see…

12. Hugger115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey everyone. We met up when he got back and have been seeing each other almost every day since. He told me he deleted his dating apps and I still like him more than he likes me, but everything was going fine. Then he went away for work again on Monday for the week. I just had a quick look on a dating app to make sure he was still off it and he was online again for the first time since he claimed to delete it :icon_sad:. I'm going to confront him about it when he's back, but I just don't know if I should trust anything he says to me now… Should I trust him at all???

13. robclem21

I would definitely ask him again about it without confronting him and see if he is honest about it. If not, then I'd say enough with him. If he is honest, maybe you need to reevaluate where to the two of you stand and make a decision. To me, there is no room for this type of dishonesty though in the relationship.

14. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't assume exclusivity unless it's specifically spoken, period, gay, straight or otherworldly.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it were me, that would be a trust violation that would not be OK.

At the early stages of a relationship, if someone specifically tells you they've done something, such as delete a hookup app, and then goes on it when they think you may not be looking... that would be a HUGE red flag. If it were me, I'd be done.

And that is why looking for people on hookup apps almost never works.