1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to approach long time (ex)friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Blood Elf, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Going to explain this the best as I can. So, I "have" had this bestfriend since middle school. We grew up together throughout the remaining school years, graduated and remained friends for many years since. It's been well over 10 years since we met. He basically became part of my family, he considered my siblings his, my grandmothers his and they did the same, he was like my brother. Every time he needed a place to stay, we let him stay with us, whenever he needed people to talk to, we were there. I considered him my real brother since we became best of friends, but..

Probably around November of last year, he just went away. Never really spoke to me, asked to hang out or do anything anymore. He had a kid during the summer of last year, I was the first person he told when he first found out his girlfriend was pregnant. Ever since he got with that girl and had the kid, he changed. He even told me before he was born that I was the kids aunt before he changed. Which really made me feel good. Then in November, him and two other friends (they basically did the same thing as him) all came to my house, didn't even know who all was there. They basically weren't close to one another, but stayed somewhat connected through me (although one of them hated the other one until then). After that, they all three began to buddy up and I became an afterthought. Since then, none of them has asked to do anything, and none of them have even really talked to me. But, back to the "brotherly friend". I approached him shortly after about what happened about why don't we do things or talk anymore. He claimed it was because of his kid, but he has been hanging out with other people including the two that were my friends that met up at my place last November. I never got invited to my "nephew's" birthday party or anything, it's like I no longer exist to him or the other two.

About a month ago, I saw him where I work, he came in shopping, he walked right past me and never said a word to me, like he didn't know who I was.. a "brotherly friend" of ten years..

Recently, it's been killing me and I want to get to the bottom of it which is why I'm asking for some advice on how to approach him (maybe one last time).

Sorry if this is difficult to make out, I'm not really good at explaining things. :confused: But, all help is appreciated.

#1 Blood Elf, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    See if you can get in touch with anyone he knows... Or you can make an effort to get in contact with him. Ring him up, maybe.

Also, keep in mind something else. People change, and people develop new friends. up until highschool I had a really close friend, and I thought we'd be best friends forever. When we didn't have any classes together, we grew distant and took our own paths. This friend came up to me a few months ago wanting to reconnect. I didn't want to say no, because we had known each other for ages. However it quickly became evident that we had both completely changed. There was no falling out, and I still find her a completely nice person, and someone to say hi to if I see her sometimes.
    I don't always see her though.

Best of luck with your friend. I hope you can become close again. :slight_smile:

3. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I should have made myself more clear.. :s I don't really know if I want to be friends with him or the others again, I really just want to know why it happened like it did. Did I do something? (can't think of anything but it maybe why). We remained bestfriends even after high school, we graduated in 2010 and the fallout happened just last year. I understand people have priorities later in life, such as kids, relationships, jobs, etc.. but that doesn't mean you have to cut someone out of your life, especially when they were viewed as part of your family for ten years. I'm definitely going to say something to him, and maybe the other two, but I'm at a loss for words (I don't socialize often). :s Thank you for the reply!

#3 Blood Elf, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  4. Joelouis

Poor you. It's horrible when people who are close to us just seem to up and leave without much thought for our feelings.
    Yeah, people change. Along with their lifestyle and circle of friends, but it still sucks pretty badly.
    It's nothing that you've done, so don't feel bad in that respect.

My close friend was like my brother when we were in our late teens. We both worked at the same place after he recommended me to them for a job. He is still the only person I've been pretty close to, but it all changed when we both got girlfriends. It was fine for him to meet a girl, but when I met the girl who was to be my long-term partner, he literally beat me up in front of her and I never got an apology or explanation why.

Obviously my relationship with my girlfriend ran its course, but he is now married with at least one kid and I'm honestly happy for him. However, I saw him at a petrol station and know he saw me as well. I was waiting for him to say hello at least but he didn't.
    Yes, that hurt, and I guess I could've said hello first but that's life I suppose.

5. cakepiecookie

I'm sorry, that must be so confusing. :frowning2: If you've already asked him then there's not much else you can do. Perhaps you could write him a message asking him again, but there's no guarantee he'll reply genuinely (or at all), and you could be opening yourself up for more hurt and disappointment.

6. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I ended up messaging him last night before I went to bed. He replied, saying it was all his fault and that he was sorry for neglecting the family and myself.