1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't relate to my friends anymore

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by spacebian, Jul 23, 2016.

1. spacebian

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Over the past year I have been rapidly recovering from life long depression so I've changed a lot. My two best friends haven't recovered at all from their mental illnesses. I find it harder and harder to talk about their interests even if I really want to be part of what they enjoy. I don't know... we're just different now. The problem is... I don't have anyone else... Has anyone else here been through this? Do you have any advice?

2. Gleek99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People change. People grow apart. Idk, maybe you're just into different stuff now, you know? And that's OK :slight_smile: you could try to make it work, or you could try to find people who you connect with and have similar interests with. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: You do you

3. timetraveltea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What was it that brought you close to your friends before you felt this way? Like Gleek99 said, people can change. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. It sounds like you have changed and grown (for the better!) by recovering from depression. Maybe your friends haven't grown with you, and thus you find it harder to relate to them.

Just because you've grown apart doesn't meant that you can't be friends anymore. But it could be time to be open to finding new friends with similar interests. Even though you might not have anyone else now, life brings all sorts of opportunities. It is still possible to meet new people.