1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't get how people can detach so easily.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Canterpiece, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I just need to vent. One thing that I've always envied people for, is their ability to detach from horrific events. That is, real and fictional ones (but mainly fictional ones). For some, it seems like they can say that something terrible happened at the start of a sentence, and start going on about blueberry muffins in the other half.

Ok, well that's an over-exaggeration, but hopefully you get what I mean. I really hate eating at the table with my family, and I much prefer eating alone. At least when I'm eating alone I don't have to put up with family members deciding that now that everyone's eating- it's time to talk about their leg surgery in intense detail because, you know, that's pleasant to talk about while everyone is eating. :rolle:

And sadly, that one wasn't an over-exaggeration. In fact, this often comes up in conversation during tea/dinner. :bang:

Recently, a conversation came up about this really gory scene in a sci-fi movie- and although I haven't seen the movie in question, I don't need to as they described it in perfect detail. And sadly, I have it well pictured in my mind. I don't want to picture it, but I find it hard to forget about it.

And the thing is, my mind will bring it up all the time- like when I'm eating. And considering some of the conversations that accompany the food, I don't really feel like eating much at all.

I'm used to this feeling. Usually in a couple of days or weeks I'll get over it, but for some people... some people just seem to...forget instantly. You know? They seem cheerful and upbeat despite hearing about the gory scene. They can watch horror movies and not be affected at all. But it's not like they block it out, it's almost like they reflect such thoughts. I don't get it.

Some people seem just so detached from it, that's why I don't want to watch horror movies- I don't want to get to that point where I can see horrific things and not react. To me, that doesn’t seem right- numbing the senses like that.

As someone with quite sensitive senses (especially hearing) – I can somewhat understand such a desire, but it still seems not quite right to me.

Despite not watching horror movies, I do get some pretty dark nightmares- the kind that haunt you for weeks and the ones that make you feel guilty if you did something wrong in the dream, even though you haven’t done anything wrong in real life.

I get it. It’s just a dream. It’s just a movie. It’s isn’t real.

But that doesn’t stop it from constantly playing on my mind. It’s like the white bear thing, if you try not to think about white bears on purpose- you think about white bears. I try and do other things to get it of my mind, but it just comes back again out of nowhere.

I’ve always had an over-active imagination, and sometimes this can be a curse as well as a gift.

I just wish I could move on as quickly as some people can. They just seem to forget these terrible things almost instantly, or at least they don’t let it show. It doesn’t put them of their food anyway, but I guess anyone who can eat whilst hearing about leg surgery (among other things) isn’t put off easily.

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Detachment with me depends upon the situation. For instance, I've posted on the forum about a guy whom I was establishing a friendship with whom by the way is in a over 20 year marriage, but tends to go on solo vacations or to out of the way gyms to released his sexual urges for men. When hanging out with him, I blocked out his personal lifestyle and just focus on how he presented himself in my presence. Unfortunately, things turned really bad when this guy became very stalkerish and wanted more than just a friendship. I detach myself immediately from this situation because I did not want any parts of it and I was pretty much taken back when he just assumed that he and I engaging in sex would be a strong possibility while all the time proclaiming how much he loved his wife. Furthermore, I began to lose a lot of respect for him when he started sharing stories with me about checking out naked guys at the gym he attends as well as the possibility of hooking up with one guy in particular. From what I've learned from another close acquaintance of ours that he has been living this double lifestyle throughout his marriage and has concluded in his mind that he is doing nothing wrong. Therefore, with this situation, I quickly detach myself from this person with no remorse whatsoever.

3. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish 'brain bleach' was real so you could get rid of those thoughts. You probably already know what causes the problem but this was my first thought:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_processing_sensitivity

Personally, I am obsessed with morbid things. A few things still unsettle me. The "disgust" feeling ends if I remove myself from the situation

4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I agree with you on that first part- if only we had those neuralyzer/neuralizer things from Men in Black, they sure would come in handy. :bang:

Personally, I'm the complete opposite- I hate morbid things as they tend to play on my mind a lot, but to each their own.

I have heard of this before- and that was actually quite an interesting read. I can certainly relate to the part about having over sensitive physical senses- trust me, there have been plenty of times were I've felt overwhelmed by external stimuli and wished that I could just shut my ears off for a short while.

However, I'm not bothered by pain that much usually, I mean.. I feel pain, but not excessively so. It concerns my family a bit, as when I was younger I got into a scolding hot bath once, and the most I said was "ow". I only remember this happening vaguely, as I was quite young- but my sister was running a bath for me at the time and she remembers it. I was ok though, it wasn't too serious- I was just red for a short while.

...I think I might have a problem. :/

#4 Canterpiece, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  5. Glowing Eyes

I'm pretty good at consciously ignoring things like this.

6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Teach me your ways. :eek:

7. Glowing Eyes

I think of movies or games I like, focus on whatever I'm currently doing, or just go on the internet a little (YT or EC mostly).

8. Brytaleith

I dunno about you, but I live for detatchment, in the way that i consciously erase links between my activities. I can shut off most of my emotions on command, and i usually do that by pressing it down and forcing it into the back of my mind. The best way, For me at least, is to engage in something that requires hardcore thinking and analysing. Like reading science articles, or doing math problems, or just answering relatively hard questions. Basically, doing this engages the thinking part of me, which can't function with feels and stuff, so the emotions and flaskbacks get suppressed.

It doesn't always work, though. Strong emotions (guilt, indignation) and flaskbacks that mean a lot to me (not necessarily in a good way, eg. Worrying about test andwers) do seep through sometimes. Also, it's probably not healthy but it works for me.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So you have over-sensitive senses and maybe at least one under-sensitive sense

sensory issues

If I had sensory issues, then I would explain it to my family and friends. At least that way I could get some peace! Of course that's simply what I'd do -- I don't know how your loved ones would react

As a side note, there is a case of a woman who couldn't feel anxiety:

woman with 'no' fear

10. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have to explain it to my family and friends, anyone who knows me knows what I'm like when it comes to this sort of thing. I hate it, and sometimes I feel guilty about it because it limits my family's lives. They hate that I'm like this, but they do get it- although I do get on their nerves sometimes. I feel like such a burden at times, and I just wish I could turn down my senses a notch- that way I could be less annoying to them.

Sure, I have methods of coping- but it still negatively impacts my family. They know how things can affect me, and although I try to not let it show- my poker face is terrible. It's gotten to the point where sometimes I have to eat alone, and they blame me for not being able to have certain foods anymore because they make me feel nauseous, and it's not like I tell them that they can't have certain foods anymore- because I don't- they just say we can't buy it anymore because it'll get wasted if I don't eat it and then they blame me for disliking the food.

:bang:

Hopefully when I move out when I'm older, my family will have better lives.

#10 Canterpiece, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016