1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nausea, why can't you be butterflies?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GenderSciFi, Jul 27, 2016.

1. GenderSciFi

Hey everybody, I've got a relationship advice question/rant. It's very pressing for me at the moment.

Always when I start to be intimate with somebody, or there's even just the realistic possibility, I pass into this physical state where I'm a bit nauseous or my tummy aches, food tastes like paper maché, I can't sleep well (usually sleep like a baby) and I'm sort of dizzy and unfocused. I'd love to say it's just being in love, but the problem is that during this time - like right now - I feel really insecure about whether I really like that person or if I want to continue getting closer to them.
    I'm not talking about relationships that start out with sex here. It's usually people that I've been friends with for quite some time.
    I think part of it is nerves... me being afraid of the closeness, of letting people into my personal space. I can never initiate this, only react, even though consent is very important to me and all the partners I've had. I guess I'm scared that I'm not good enough, but why do I only get like this with sexual relationships, while I'm really comfortable entering close emotional commitments with people?

I'm going through this at the moment, and I try to solve the "do-I-want-this?"-thing by looking at my feelings for that person before I knew sex would happen. Ok, I think I wanted it, but why can't I see that now? Why am I all nerves and almost no happiness? I know it's going to pass, but I don't want to feel this NOW.
    Has somebody felt something like that? :help:

PS: and don't say it's because I'm trans, because duh... I already know that and it still doesn't make sense to me :dry:

#1 GenderSciFi, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. timetraveltea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to get really nervous and a little nauseous before having sex with my long-term boyfriend. This happened more than once, but I think for me it was nerves; I was still pretty new to sex so I wasn't completely able to let myself go and relax for it like I can now.

Are you actually unsure about whether you want to be intimate with the particular people? It is understandable that any real insecurities or doubts you have about them would become present before intimacy. Just because you like or love someone doesn't mean you have to have sex with them. Sometimes you might feel that you want it while there are other feelings you have that are telling you not to for stronger reasons. Perhaps you don't want to cross that line with friends? Or maybe you are afraid of losing them after getting close to them.

Just something to think about. I hope this helps.

3. GenderSciFi

Thanks for the advice! Hmnah, it's not about nerves before sex or being or talking with her. I actually get calmer then, I'm just worried and different all the rest of these days. I guess I'm so hesitant to cross that line with anybody, even though I also want it?

4. timetraveltea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're welcome :slight_smile: It sounds like it is possibility of finally crossing that line that is making you so nervous. You sound pretty in-tune with yourself, but don't beat yourself up about how you feel. It's totally fine and normal. I obsessed over the thought of losing my virginity before I lost it and overthought it a lot. That's not to say that it isn't something you shouldn't think about; it definitely is. It can never be undone, after all. Being a bit worked up about it is normal. I hope you are able to talk to her about it. That might help to clear the air and get some concerns out of your mind.