1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are relationships worth it?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Alexrocks1253, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are they worth going for? I'd like to know. :confused:

2. robclem21

What do you think?

You ask a lot of questions that I have a feeling you already know the answer to. Try answering this one yourself first and see what you come up with.

#2 robclem21, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not all relationships are the same. Someone posted a graphic (I think based on research) that said bad relationships are often worse than being single and good relationships are better. Ultimately, every person has the power to control their own happiness. You can be single and unhappy or unhappy, and those in bad relationships will have one person who drags their partner down with whatever is their problem (anger, addiction, violence, etc.). Those in good relationships will help build each other up because they act like best friends.

So, each of us should look inward and see where we can get better (self-development), and that can be done whether we are single or in a relationship. Self-development means using your natural talents to build up both society and yourself, identifying the things in your personality that may be harmful (being rude, being too submissive, worrying too much about money/fame/power, etc.), and just being a better person for everyone you meet: friend or foe.

In fact, a relationship may not last long if the two people are mismatched in terms of their own personal developments, while some people may have lifelong relationships because they matched very well and learned how to work through problems. It's even possible that after a breakup, the two people will get back together as they have learned and grown during the separation.

4. AmyBee

Yes, seriously. I had to learn to love myself as a person and after that my relationships got more than worth it, even the ones that ended. They can cause a lot of pain, but every one of them is a learning experience. I don't think there's a such thing as a failed relationship. Failing would be not learning and applying those lessons to all your other relationships. But I do agree being alone is better than being in a bad relationship. Luckily we have that magic word... dump.

5. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people