1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I proceed despite age gap?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by hillwanderer, Aug 1, 2016.

1. hillwanderer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 22. I've been on a couple of casual dates with this girl who's 18. I really like her a lot, and we really hit it off and have a great time together. I'm just afraid that the age gap might be inappropriate or weird, and I don't want to continue getting more serious if the age gap is too great. We're at different stages in life; I just graduated college and am starting my first job, and she's still figuring out what she wants to do, but in some ways I think I'd be a fool to pass up the opportunity for a relationship with someone I really like. What do you think?

2. Embi

Embi Guest

It's just 4 years. Many people are happy with bigger age gaps. As long as you really like each other and feel like you are on the same maturity level, it shouldn't be a problem. Age is mostly just a number.

3. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think that sounds bad at all! It probably seems like a big difference because you're in different decades of your life, but four years isn't really much of a difference at all.
    Age isn't just a number, in relationships it generally relates to maturity levels, life experience etc but you're probably both around the same level in terms of maturity (generally speaking, of course everyone is different), and as for life experience, you obviously have more but it still isn't a huge gap, in my opinion.

If you like each other then you should go for it!

4. confusedbubble

There's 9 years between me and my partner we are both as mature as each other and like the same things 4 years is nothing I say go for it what have you got to loose

5. Miri

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you take the half plus seven rule, eighteen is at the edge of what's acceptable for you, but to me it doesn't make as much of a difference when you're at that age - I'd say go for it, use caution and common sense, and make sure you're both having fun!

6. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Strictly speaking towards the age issue - in this case, you are both still fairly young, and while you've just graduated college and she's just graduated high school, putting you two at somewhat different points in life, if you're willing to spend a few more years in college by proxy (assuming she's enrolling), or willing to wait while she starts looking for jobs and entering the workforce (assuming she's not going to college, at least right now), then I don't see why age alone would be the issue. :slight_smile:

Is there anything else that gives you pause? Or has anybody said something along those lines to you?

7. hillwanderer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, no one has said anything to me to dissuade me from going out with her. But unfortunately now I think it might be a moot point because she seems to have done a 180 in terms of her affection for me. She had said that she really liked me and was excited to see what might happen with us, but now she's stopped texting and cancelled plans we made. Kinda sad about it.