1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents and Money

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by David21201, Aug 1, 2016.

1. David21201

*Specifically aimed at 13-18 year olds, feel free to answer though*

Do your parents make you pay for your own clothing,food, etc.?

Do your parents make you buy your own souvenirs?

Have you ever been in debt to them?

Have they ever denied you the right to work?

Have your parents ever taken a pay, disability, social security check, etc. and used it for their own personal gain?

Do you recieve an allowance? If so could you easily eat for a week of the allowance?

2. Brytaleith

Let me give this a go...

Do your parents make you pay for your own clothing,food, etc.?
    They don't make me, they (and my pride) just generally discourage me from asking for more cash than is my allowance. Idk how to explain this? I have a very weird relationship with them, like, if possible, I prefer not to ask anyone for money, which includes them, up to the point where I am absolutely unable to pay for the purchase myself.

Do your parents make you buy your own souvenirs?
    See above. Under certain circumstances where they understand why I want the particular souvenir, they may buy it for me.

Have you ever been in debt to them?
    Not in the traditional sense of debt, no I don't think so. I may "borrow" money from my parents in the sense that like, maybe they're only willing to pay $X for stuff but I want something that costs $(X+Y), so they'll pay $(X+Y) first and I'll pay them back the $Y, except that sometimes they forget or let it go or whatever. It's never a very serious thing.

Have they ever denied you the right to work?
    No. (They actually really want me to work because we're kind of low on the cash side of things)

Have your parents ever taken a pay, disability, social security check, etc. and used it for their own personal gain?
    No.

Do you recieve an allowance? If so could you easily eat for a week of the allowance?
    Yes, I have an allowance. Tbh, I could easily survive/eat during the week off any amount of money I'm given because I don't eat in school/on my own, but in terms of basic needs of the average person, I'd say it's still a pretty comfortable sum.

I don't suppose there's a reason you're asking this?

3. David21201

Brytaleith, to answer you: The reason I am asking is many of my friends and I, who come from a very diverse range of income and such, are curious. We are wondering whom else is in a similar situation or not.

I have (read as: am) been in serious debt with my parents. I get $6/wk for 10 meals with a school lunch being $3/day. I cannot apply for any financial aid due to my family's annual income. Many of my friends including myself have parents who abuse our checks and make it so we cannot work. I buy my own clothes and have to save for WEEKS. Parents can be tricky.