1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told a guy I'd go out with him, but I think I'm a lesbian..

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by hillwanderer, Aug 1, 2016.

1. hillwanderer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So long story (kind of) short, I've been questioning my sexuality for years and by a few months ago had started thinking I was bi with a strong preference for girls. Now I realize I'm probably a lesbian, but I was in denial then, because I didn't/don't have any sexual attraction to guys but I thought since I found some guys cute/adorable/other non-sexy adjectives, that I was still bi (I also thought that if I fell in love with a guy, then sexual attraction would develop). My straight friend was on ****** and it looked fun so I decided to go on it, too. Hardly any girls in my area.. damn. So I started looking at guys and came across this really adorable guy with curly hair and pretty eyes. We started talking and met up for a date-like thing once a few months ago, but it turned out that he was moving out of town soon afterward, so that was that. Now he's back in town and asked me to go out again. Having no idea what to say and not wanting to tell him I'm probably a lesbian, I said okay. Now I'm dreading it and thinking about how awkward and uncomfortable it will be. The first time was fine, even enjoyable, because we literally just sat around talking like friends. It wasn't actually very date-like, and no physical contact was involved at all. But a second date just seems awkward as hell. What do I do? I'm a damned foolish, almost certified lesbian who said yes to going out with a guy in two days and now it's too late to cancel without being a horrible person. To make matters more complicated, I've recently gone out a few times with this girl who I really like, and the difference between going out with her and going out with guys is plain as day. The awkwardness just isn't there, and I don't cringe if she makes a move to initiate physical contact.

What do I do? Go on the date, holding onto the idea that maybe if I get to know him more, I won't feel so uncomfortable and I might become attracted to him? Things are complicated when you think you're attracted to guys but it turns out you really just find some of their facial features cute or you like their personality. -.-

2. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You're gonna have to send him another message or be ready to confess to him in person. I'm not sure which is better, depends how you feel, I know I would have to do it over message.

Explain to him that you said yes because you really enjoyed the first date and you were glad you really got on, but that you've been going through a lot and you've finally managed to accept you're a lesbian. Assure him that this had nothing to do with him and you didn't mean to lead him on, you were just confused and not comfortable enough to accept you couldn't be with a guy. Tell him you understand that he's probably a bit upset about this but that all you can do is apologise.

Unless he's a asshole, as long as you explain yourself and show sympathy for his feelings he shouldn't blow up on you hopefully.

This is all I can really suggest.

3. BelieveinLove94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with the person above me. Your going to have to tell him. I would probably send a message just because I say things better in writing. you could even say that you would like to just remain friends but you like women.

By the way, I love that quote by Lucy too, she and Kaelyn are so funny.

Good Luck! :slight_smile:

4. hillwanderer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Holy shit. I just texted him like an hour ago and told him. We were supposed to go out tonight at 5:30. I am a terrible person. But maybe it's better than breaking it to him during the date. I am so filled with anxiety right now, I feel like vomiting. This is the first time I've ever done this.

5. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you did the right thing. As much as he might be a great guy, being in a relationship also means having at least a little of physical contact and flirting. If you don't like it or/and feel uncomfortable, I think it's better to be friends. Take deep breaths, everything is gonna be alright ^^

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is far better to have the discomfort of cancelling late than stringing along an unsuspecting person.

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)

8. hillwanderer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. That was the best possible outcome. I told him, he was cool about it, and we still went out, but not as a date, just as friends, and I had a really nice time. He's such a sweet, adorable guy. No wonder I liked him at first. I just wish I could be attracted to him beyond a "cute" kind of way because I think we'd be great together. God I'm so lonely.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay! He sounds so nice. ^^

10. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why limit yourself or repress how you feel about him? It s not like you're breaking some rule. The point is we need to be free, to live our lives the way we want, not according to someone elses rules or definitions. Personally, I think you ARE attracted to him in more than a cute way. And that's quite OK!

11. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do think you are attracted to him in more than a "he's kinda cute" way. If you weren't you wouldn't be saying things like "I like him and I wish it would work."

12. hillwanderer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I do kind of like him in a romantic way, but anything sexual with guys really turns me off. Like I don't want to see a guy in a sexual context, you know? Even kissing one seems awkward. I don't know what this means for my sexuality. I have had some pretty big crushes on guys before, just in a completely non-sexual way.

13. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Its OK to think of different people in different ways. Its sounds like you've set a boundary and that's fine. Its best to be honest from the start. And if things change, that's fine too. I wonder what's going through his head. If its just about having sex, well ....

14. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha I totally have this problem of having all these different feelings about guys that just don't seem to add up in a way that I feel like I could date one. Like aesthetically they're nice, and sexually I am the most hypersexual beast ever anything seems like a good idea until I kiss a guy... then I can't do it, romantically I've never been that invested in guys.

I'm glad you know where your boundaries are properly, I am terrible at this. And im really glad you got such a good reaction! You may have made a friend!

15. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, nothing terrible about it. It'd be terrible though if you couldn't be yourself. =)