1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girlfriend moving into my home

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by hedgehog, Aug 2, 2016.

1. hedgehog

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there, I'll make this short and sweet. So basically, my girlfriend and I have been together for a wee while now and we have been talking about the future. She currently goes to uni in the same city I live in (meaning she lives here in the dorms?) but her real home is about 2-3 hours away from here. Next year she won't be able to live in the dorm rooms again, so we thought that maybe she could move into my home (I live with my parents).

We are both 18 now but will be 19 when she could potentially move in. She would pay rent and be living in my room. Both my parents love her and basically treat her as their daughter (which is a good thing). My girlfriend said that if she can't move into my house, she will take a break from uni and live at her real home before she starts back up at uni again (meaning she will be at home for about 5-6 months). I love her so much and cannot imagine my life without her and I feel like there's pressure on me to convince my parents to let her move in. I've brought it up to my mum and she said 'we'll talk about it' but I'm scared they'll say no because being away from her will then put a strain on our relationship. I know I'm 'young' and 'I don't know what I want in life,' but truth is, I do know what I want and that's to always be with her.

So basically my question is, how would you convince your parents to let your partner to live with you? Preferably would also like parents with teens to answer so I can figure out my approach in this but any advice would be awesome!

2. FoxSong

Living together will most certainly also put a strain on the relationship, especially in your parents home. I'd say hold off on living together until you could do it as a couple alone, even then though, it's a big step. The 5-6 months apart will be difficult but certainly not impossible if you guys work on communicating with and seeing one another :slight_smile:

3. robclem21

Is 2-3 hours really that far? I think you are being a bit dramatic saying that you "cannot imagine my life without her". You are old enough that travelling on weekends is pretty feasible so there is no reason this relationship couldn't continue over that 6 month period. It's true that you won't be able to see each other as much, but I would hardly say she is out of your life forever.

Ive had a long distance relationship that lasted 7+ months that was about as far as that. It is tough sometimes, but definitely doable for the right person.

Also, I agree with above that living together with your parents might not be the best idea. There is an inherent lack of freedom and privacy that comes with that and especially when money becomes involved in a tenant agreement, there are a lot of sources of potential issues. If she is going to pay rent anyway, why not get a place of her own and move in there?