1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Demanding Sister

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JonSomebody, Aug 7, 2016.

1. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A couple of months ago, the one sister that I used to have strong communication ties with had startled and disappointed me with a subject matter that she bought up that caused me a lot of family grief when I was a teenager well into my early 20's. Let me give you some background insight before I get to the matter. You see, I love music and have been collecting albums/cds since my dad introduced me to a music store when I was in 9 or 10 years old. I started off buying albums which increased into a very large library with over 5,000. After my father died, my mother would attack me all the time about spending my money on music. In fact, she would get so mad at me that she started saying that because I buy music, I am letting people know that I am gay. Her point of view of this was very puzzling to me because when ever she had company over, she would ask me to bring my music down to the living room for them all to enjoy.

Nonetheless, no matter how she attacked me, I did not stop buying music. I would sneak the albums in the house whenever I would get paid because during this time, although I was around 15-16 years old, I worked part-time and felt since it was my money that I've earned I should be able to spend it on whatever I wanted. Unfortunately, she still had issues with this and had threatened me a lot about doing so. Anyway, her actions caused my siblings to attack me as well and they would always say that they were going to sell them to the music exchange store for money.

After I moved away, I got into purchasing CDs. Once more, I've obtained a large library of music from buying and collecting CDs. Growing into adulthood, I could care less what they had to say because I rarely seen them and for that matter, it didn't matter to me what they thought because I was taking care of myself and that is all that mattered to me. So, a couple of months ago while talking to my sister on the phone, she bought up that she thinks I should sell all of my music because if something happens to me, she doesn't want ownership and they will just give it all away. She went on to mention the money I could make from selling them. I immediately interrupted her by saying mind your damn business. I did not ask her for advice or cared for her opinion about something that is none of her concern. Everyone has something that they collect or enjoy and I know for a fact that she does and I never thought of criticizing her for doing so because that's her business and for her to bring up something that had been such a negative impact on me during my younger years after all of this time was a horrible thing for her to do. There were a few other things that I said and could tell by her tone that she did not like what I was saying but at the same time, there was nothing she could say which pissed her off and kind of led to us not talking to each other anymore. This was her choice, not mine because after expressed my feelings on the subject matter, I moved on and let it go. Apparently, she did not. So, do you understand my feelings about this?? I know this is a long winded story but I wanted to give you some insight of the situation in order for whomever reading this would understand my position on the matter. Thanks in advance for your time. JS

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I understand. Everyone collects, as you said, and mostly it's crap far less useful and enjoyable than music.

You deserve to have your collection - you've been dedicated to it since you were young and you went out to work so you could better your collection. Your sister doesn't have any right to tell you what to do with your possessions.

3. mangotree

I envy your passion.
    There are far worse things be interested in than music.
    I don't know your family dynamics, but it's your life, not hers.
    Sure, she (and everyone else) is entitled to her/their opinion, but you also have the right to ignore it.

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone has something they spend more money on than they should... I'm about to drop 4 grand on a 60 year old truck that barely runs. Think of all those old ladies with hundreds of dollars invested in fancy china plates that they never use.

Music is certainly something no one should catch flak about for collecting. Keep jamming with your tunes.