1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm starting to suspect that my sister is gay

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PennyT, Aug 7, 2016.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my family a few weeks ago, and my sister's reaction was the only truly negative one. Immediately after I told her, she told me that I was just confused and that she didn't think that I was gay and that if I came out to my parents, horrible things would happen. Later, when everything had calmed down, she told me that what she said were "exaggerations", which, given what I know about her, I doubt. She also told me that when she was in high school, she was afraid of being gay because of all the problems that it would cause and whatnot. She's had a lot of boyfriends but not a lot of serious ones, if any. She never seems that into the guys she dates. She also dates a lot of terrible boyfriends. She has told me that gay sex isn't the best kind of sex, and the thought of doing gay sex horrifies her, while straight sex turns her on. Despite claiming to be "liberal" and "having a lot of gay friends", she's the least accepting in my family, including my conservative father. When I mention that I find a girl hot, she gets very uncomfortable and tells me I shouldn't because the girl is probably straight.

Her behavior confuses me. I'm wondering if she has all of these preconceived ideas about being gay because she might be questioning and for whatever reason can't handle the idea of being gay herself. I don't know. Am I overthinking this?

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you're overthinking it. Her sexuality is her business, whatever it might be, but she's questioned it in the past and it sounds like she might still be. If she is questioning, you coming out has become a constant reminder of that. She might feel like because you're not straight, she's less likely to be too.