1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my mom doesn't believe that I'm bisexual

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MouthofMadness7, Aug 14, 2016.

1. MouthofMadness7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay so recently i came out as bi to my mom. Her reaction was neutral. She said she supports me but she believes I'm confused due to the fact that I was molested for 7 years (from 8 to 15 years old) by a "family friend". I have been in therapy for 2 years and I have been doing better. I have PTSD and taking medicine for it. I know my mother is concerned but I'm not confused. How do I convince her?

2. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, on the bright side, at least her reaction wasn't bad and she actually supports you. About the only thing I think you can do is just let her keep thinking that, then overtime she'll realize it wasn't just a phase. A lot of parents think that about their children.

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could always ask your therapist to talk to your mother. Or ask them for some help on convincing your mother.

4. MouthofMadness7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

Yeah I'm glad she wasn't angry about it. She might just stop seeing my sexuality as a "phase"

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes, orientation becomes real for parents/family/friends when you start demonstrating your orientation (like going on dates or finding a same sex partner). Also, you might suggest your mom go to a Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) group so she can here firsthand accounts from other people in similar situations.