1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rumor Started That I Was Gay And I Was With My Older Brother!!!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by JonSomebody, Aug 16, 2016.

1. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Several years ago, I took over the lease of a condo that one of my older brothers had signed for. He is what you call "a mamma's boy" and after he had signed the lease for the condo, my mom had told him that he could come stay with her but she was not aware that he had signed the lease. Anyway, the place was new and I was looking for a new place and although I do not trust him, I decided to give it a try after he was constantly begging me to do so. There was this woman staying in the condo next door and I picked up right away by her constant appearances that she was a very nosy woman which meant to me to keep my distance. My brother had helped me move a lot of my personal belongings prior to the actual movers for the first few days. What surprised me was that this woman had the boldness and nerve to approach me one evening and asked me if I was gay and if the guy which was my brother was my boyfriend. I immediately gave her the nastiest look I could possibly give and told her "That is my older brother and you should not start rumors about something that you do not know what you're talking about especially when you don't know a damn thing about me".

After that incident, whenever I would come home, she would make an appearance and attempt to speak to me but I would just completely ignore her and go into my home and close the door. Later that evening, I received a call from one of my sisters who told me that she and my brother was in the local grocery store earlier that afternoon and this woman approached my brother telling him what she said to me about he and I being gay and her reason being that she felt we looked nothing alike. Well, my sister and my brother went totally left on her for those lies and accusations. They put her on blast so bad that she ended apologizing to them for her accusations because she also spread that rumor to several other tenants in the condo area.

Not too long after that, my brother wanted to move in with me but I had gotten another offer and gave him back his place which was perfect timing for me. The reason I bring this story to the forum was that I ran into this woman yesterday and she offered an long overdue apology to me for passing that rumor. She asked for my forgiveness. I forgave her but not for but for me to move forward in my life. Afterwards, she asked for a hug which I immediately declined. I told her just because I accepted her apology and forgave her for those actions does not mean we are complete or I would have dinner or even socialize with you so just accept forgiveness and move on.

To conclude, it's so strange how people can assume things about you and be totally wrong but their assumptions can cause you a lot of unnecessary pain which is horrible because if I were or if he was my boyfriend it was none of her damn business.

2. faustian1

Was the apology genuine? If it was, it's one of those "thrice in a lifetime" events where someone actually apologizes for something gone by. A 12-step thing, maybe?

For that other thing, I know a few people who would have taken the ball and ran with it (as in, asking her advice for picking out china, etc.), in full parody. Of course, those folks have self esteem that puts them in a place where they don't care what anyone thinks of them--something of which I'm insanely jealous.

It's funny how peoples' perceptions have changed to where the first conclusion jumped to is something like:

(1) Two guys together = gay
    (2) Man and a child = child molester

I think it's from too much TV.

#2 faustian1, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  3. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Thank you faustian1 for responding to my thread but to answer your question in regard to this woman's apology being genuine...no, I think it was basically out of guilt especially when she saw me because I was probably the last person she thought she would have ran into.

4. faustian1

Ah, OK...that's more typical.

It would make an interesting thread for people to recount those rare experiences where, some time after the original controversy, a non-relative appeared to offer a sincere apology or to make amends. And then, another thread from people who have done it in reverse.

As you may know, this is part of the 12 AA (and many other self-help groups') steps. In particular steps 4, 8, 9, and 10. Being a former bartender you may have been acquainted with a few who needed them. :badgrin:

But alas, it appears that in your case it was merely a case of a condo (and its neighbors) that you needed to lose...

#4 faustian1, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  5. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes...I was very aware of that fact but as I mentioned...I knew by her demeanor and the way she was so persistent in the beginning to label me and my brother as being a gay couple whether she knew what she was talking about or not. I also knew from when I saw her that by her body language...it was basically out of guilt and just needed to say something.:dry:

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good for you standing firm and still behaving classy with a horrible gossipmonger. Such people are so busy in other peoples' lives because either their lives are not satisfying or they are too ashamed to think about what are their failures. Plus, they just aren't going to completely change their behavior because they were caught lying. As long as you limit contact, you will avoid the corrosion of gossip affecting your own mental health.

7. Nobo

what a BITCH