1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with awful relatives on facebook

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FrereApothicair, Aug 30, 2016.

1. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guys, I love my grandmother. I love my grandfather. I really do. But holy crap. They're both so RACIST and TERRIBLE on facebook, at all times. It's worse now, during the election--I don't understand how such staunch "love thy neighbor" Christians can spew such hate and vitriol all over social media. I mean. If I hadn't come out as gay, they'd be hating on gays, too. I'm not out as transgender, precisely because they're so horrifically anti-trans. I don't know what to do. Do I block them? Call them out and risk ruining the mostly-good relationship I have with them? Do I just have to deal with it? :help:

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With family, I ignore their less than intelligent views of certain topics. One brother in-law in particular I just keep scrolling and don't even read his stuff. Cause its not worth the stress, headache to argue with that pin head on a daily bases.

3. killswitch0029

You can unfollow from them. They'll still be on your friend list, their posts just won't pop up on your feed; you'd have to go to their profile to see anything. Less drastic than blocking and it saves you from having to see any of the crap that they post.

#3 killswitch0029, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Family on Facebook is such a pain. I got an inbox today because I said something that offended a family member. My response was "well if it bothers you then remove me :slight_smile:" and that settles it. I don't know why people can't understand the concept of diversity.

5. Knight Wilson

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with killswitch0029. Unfollowing your grandmother is the way to go. That way you won't have to deal with the awkward situation that will arise when she realizes that you blocked her.

I'd even recommend getting off Facebook entirely. I can't see any good that thing does. A bunch of people posting inane pictures and humblebrags, a load of pseudo-friendships, zero privacy and you always wind up feeling worse about yourself after you log on. Blech.

I would've probably deleted Facebook if I didn't need it for work. If there's something worse than Facebook, I haven't found it.

6. faustian1

^^^Knight Wilson is right about this, in my personal opinion. It's almost as if Zuckerberg studied the principles of addiction science, and then perversely applied them to get people hooked on his Wall Street machine. Do a Google search on the term "FOMO" and you'll get some really good references that draw parallels between addiction and this principle.

My significant other is involved in Facebook. I ignore it. However, in cases where this is impossible, I have a phony account with it's unique email address, and do not give it any personal data, going so far as to use a separate computer to run the browser. I use the account to keep up with local community organizations, who have defaulted to the awful Facebook platform in favor of other alternatives, such as WordPress.

Recently, in the news, there has been a story about a counselor who was confused as to why her patients had suddenly been receiving other patients as suggested "friends" and why she was receiving patients as suggestions. This was traced to her disclosure to facebook of her personal cell phone number. Although none of her patients were contacts on her phone, patients had made her a contact on their phones. That's all Zuckerberg needed, to draw them all together. So many people run the mobile facebook application, and usually they grant permission for facebook to access the phone's contacts.

When he's not busy "outing" people who are clients of therapists and might otherwise not want others to know, Zuckerberg spends his spare time "outing" people as homosexual, in places where it's a serious criminal offense to be homosexual. Some people will do anything for money.

The extent to which people suspend their instinct for privacy on facebook is very clear, when you tally up the number of arrests for criminal offenses, facilitated by police just looking on a suspect's facebook profile, and finding evidence that the suspect himself put on there, to show off.

#6 faustian1, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016