1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a relationship but I don't like dating?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Creativemind, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How does one find a relationship if they dislike going on dates and dating culture as a whole?

When I mean dating, I mean the process of finding strangers to ask out. I prefer to get to know someone maybe to the point of casual friends before I feel any interest in 'dating', but usually by that time, no one is interested.

I hate to use these really stupid labels I don't believe in, but "demiromantic/sexual" seems to fit. I can notice some people look nice, but there's zero chemistry with them until we've gotten to know each other better. I know, I know "Dating is about getting to know each other better to begin with" but on a date there's pressure to feel chemistry before the night ends and to kiss the person. I can't feel any of that because I still don't "know know" them enough to feel a connection at all, and so the dates never progress further.

The kissing thing is kind of awkward, not because I'm a prude, but because of the lack of chemistry and my dislike of being touched by strangers (I don't even like being hugged by people I haven't known long) makes it a turn-off 100% of the time.

Then, if you don't kiss them they assume you're not interested and they shouldn't continue seeing you. When, in reality, if they just continued seeing me in a low pressure situation I might have felt a connection eventually. I even liked the idea of kissing on the first date with a friend I was interested in dating (and she considered dating me too, but we ended up deciding against it), so I assume this alone isn't the problem.

Another thing is that it just seems like a waste of my time and money to gamble on dates with strangers just to realize we may or may not have only one thing in common. You end up going through thousands of garbage in the dating pool, spending all that time on fancy dinners and fancy clothing just to get no result. It's frustrating considering I don't make much money to begin with and all that wasted dating money could have been going toward things I actually need to live my life. I'm 26 and still trying to save to go to college, that's how bad it is.

I'm frustrated with how bad I want a relationship while knowing how much dating is a total waste of my time. It feels like I'm only attracted to my friends (or close acquaintances), when by that time, they lose interest. Other people show interest in me if the date is immediate, but I have no interest in them and feel bored/awkward the whole time :dry:

#1 Creativemind, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. blightedsight

Online dating.
    Thats how I did it. My partner and I met on a dating site. Spent 2 months talking everyday, then when we met, we just started a relationship.
    By the end of the first physical meet (which lasted 5 days, as we met in London), we decided to move in together. One month later we found a flat and we've been together ever since. That was 4 years ago.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahhh, that sounds like a good idea. I've had online relationships before, but the distance was too large for it to work. It might be a good idea for me to try with people of closer distance :

4. blightedsight

Sounds like a plan:slight_smile:

5. PrettyinPunk

I have the same problem. Dating seems so pointless and uncomfortable to me. There definitely is a pressure to connect and move past into a relationship. I can't meet that obligation and I feel most people wouldn't want to just be friends and see if it goes anywhere. Honestly I can't blame them. I've turned people down who've casually asked me out and I feel guilty when they feel rejected. At the same time I think in my head their better off with someone else who could at least give them a decent date night. I can't do online dating either. The connection has to be formed in person for me. I have to see the person living in the world around them. Look into their eyes and understand what they are really thinking. In my experience I can't gain that online. I'm also old fashioned in that way.

Right now I'm just looking to make new friends who share common interests, maybe I can find something more.

Good luck in your pursuit online. It can really work for some people.:thumbsup:

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally feel the same way. The dating culture just goes way too fast for me to be interested in anyone at all. There is pressure to be attracted immediately, but attraction for me is more than just looks and basic interests that may or may not be the truth. I would prefer to just make friends first and see where it goes, but it seems like nobody wants to be with their friends(especially women for some reason)...

I actually relate to wanting the connection in person more than online. The only good thing about online relationships is the fact you can't physically touch each other, so it forces you to so slow and get to know the person before actual intimacy happens. I just wish the same thing happened in real life.

7. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I see what you mean. I'm kinda like this. I love to meet new people and get to know them, but I hate dating a bunch of different people just to see which one I like the best. I've never done that before. It's just not my thing. When I meet someone, I usually know right away if I can see myself with them.

8. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to this dilemma as well. My life seems very sheltered and have not had anyone really as a "friend" since who knows when. I work 70 hours a week as single father, and don't see how to fit meeting someone into that schedule. Bad too, when your mind is telling you there are too many things on your checklist to be done before you can even consider yourself date-able.
    I have an app to try and meet guys, yet feel the only ones that show interest, I don't have any sort of attraction to. And the last thing I want to do is get myself in a situation with someone who is wanting/expecting more than I feel able to give. Right now everything just seems to be in this agonizing holding pattern and wondering when I am ever gonna be able to move forward.
    Don't mean to sound pessimistic, it has just been on my mind a lot lately.