1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

family feud... with me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by xxAngelOnFirexx, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxAngelOnFirexx

I've been argueing with my uncle on homosexuality and what it says in the bible and his acceptance of me. here are the e-mails;okay it starts with his reply to the article (i posted it here at EC) about gay animals:

"Morgan,

As you asked, I did take the time to read the article. I would like to give you my observations of what I think this article is primarily saying:

1. Many animal species exhibit homosexual behavior

2. Animals exhibit this because they enjoy it

3. Science doesn’t support homosexuality being genetically driven

The conclusion that the article is driving at but only implies is that Homosexuality is natural and should be accepted.

I was unaware of the sexual behavior of these species prior to reading the article, but I am not surprised by it. Assuming that point 1 is true above, I have no issues with conclusions 2 and 3.

What the writer of the article fails to understand or believe is that men and women are made in God’s image. Part of what makes us different from other creatures is that God has given us a moral law and set it in our hearts. In other words, deep down we all know right from wrong. In the moral law is the command: “Thou shall not commit adultery”. Having sexual relations with anyone (male or female) outside of marriage is adultery. God’s word (the Bible) also teaches specifically that Homosexual behavior is sinful.

Scientists showing that other animal species exhibit homosexuality does not make it acceptable in God’s eyes.

If a scientist showed that many animal species killed each other for some reason or another, would that make murder acceptable for people?

I love you and I am praying for you.

Terry"

My reply?:
    "And i quite remember Jesus saying "thou who is without sin shall cast the first stone.""

and i forwarded my mom the e-mail (and she's on my side with my sexuality) and she replied:

"Dear Terry,

Morgan sent me your answer to her email about homosexual animals. You stated:

In the moral law is the command: “Thou shall not commit adultery”. Having sexual relations with anyone (male or female) outside of marriage is adultery.

This is just a clarification:

for·ni·ca·tion(fôrn-kshn)

n.

Sexual intercourse between partners who are not married to each other.

a·dul·ter·y(-dlt-r, -tr)

n. pl. a·dul·ter·ies

Voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a partner other than the lawful spouse."

what he has to say?:

"*(morgan's mom)* and Morgan,

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate your reading my review of the article and response.

I think you are right Debbie on the distinction between fornication and adultery. There are some Bible sources that link the two as the same while others agree with the separation. Fornication is biblically interpreted as sexual immorality.

The Bible states:

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (New International Version)
    9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God

Morgan, I am not throwing stones at you. I care about you and wish for you not to be deceived by a world that thinks that we should be able to do anything that feels good to us. You should read the passage that you quoted to me. I will not condemn you for immoral behavior as the Pharisees did. I am showing you love by showing you God’s word and that you are being deceived. You should note that at the end of the passage, after Jesus redeems the woman of her sin, he instructs her to: “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

John 8:3-11 (New International Version)

3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

11"No one, sir," she said.
    "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

With love,

Terry"

Me: *no reply* :bang: :eusa_doh: :lol: crazy... just crazy...

What do you guys think?

2. SadConfusedBandGeek

Personally I think he must seriously love you to be giving you such an honest response but at the same time, thinking about your feelings and trying to make you do in his mind the right thing.

But thats the whole point, in his mind he see's homosexuality as being wrong and sinful, but you honestly cant make him understand that god made you this way, and there is nothing to do about it because it is just natural. He isn't a homosexual so i dont think he can simply understand where you are coming from.

But in your mind you are homosexual, you know that you aren't being tricked or misinformed. You know that you are a lesbian and you know god made you this way. I think it is good he still loves you, but I dont think he can understand.

Basically the bible was not written from a gay point of view, so they cant understand what being gay is like, So they think its wrong. I think that they think we are purposely disobeying god. But I think we are just living how we are supposed to because god made us this way.

I dunno how to help you with your problem though! Sorry.
    Anyway Good Luck!

3. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh brother, I could comment a lot. I don't have much time right now, but here are a couple of things.

The Bible states that marriage is a matter of the heart. Just because the state or country does not honor and acknowledge a marriage between two people of the same sex does not mean that God does not require Biblical "marriage" behavior. So, even though I am gay, I do not believe in "pre-marital" sex. So, I will wait until I have a partner whom I commit to for the rest of my life. This may not be a popular opinion, but as a gay Christian, this is where I stand.

There is a book called "The Children are Free". It is about homosexuality and the Bible. It is a great resource for gay people struggling with their Christian faith and a challenge for heterosexuals Christians. Suffice it to say, there are no passages in Scripture that says a same sex couple living in a commited relationship is wrong. It comes down hard on homosexual rape, but it also comes down hard on heterosexual rape. It comes down hard on sex with "strange flesh" (angels), but I would think this would be a matter of common sense.

I think the comments about adultery and fornication are kind of ludicrous. In order to say you are committing adultery or fornication, wouldn't that be also saying that if you are married to the person of the same sex it is okay. And the argument would probably be that gay marriage is not legal. Well, according to most Christians, since when does the government dictate God's law. The law says we can kill unborn children, does that make it right? The law says our children can't pray in schools, does that make it right? And besides that, the Bible says marriage is a matter of the heart. If two people, before God, promise their lives together in "marriage", it would be my guess that God would hold them to it.

4. SadConfusedBandGeek

^^ Wow, geezuz ur smart lol (Do u mind if i save that speech so i can read it later if someone ever challenges me with the, God says its wrong to be gay, card?)

5. Jim1454

I think you have to shrug it off and carry on. You're not going to win this argument, nor is he. I'm glad you're mom is being supportive...

(I can't help but wonder though if he's this judgemental about all people that have sex outside of marriage, or just the gay ones... because lets face it, most people today have sex outside of marriage - either before or while they are married to someone else. I bet he's not being totally consistent.)

6. paul7836

I think some people just cant get the fact that we are who we are. and nothing can change that. "God created man in his image"... If this is true, then how is being gay against the bible? wouldn't Jesus have condemned it? I don't see how if we are created in god's image,and being gay is not "good" according to him, then why would he create us gay. We didn't have a choice of weather we are gay or not. Its just who we are. So much of this is just over my head. religion can both bring a group of people together, and separate that very group on how you interpret the "word of god".

7. Sam

Sam

your situation reminds me of my cousin and me. My cousin talked about the bible and how I was wrong and basically said that I wasn't a christian which really made me mad because I am a christian. your uncle obviously loves you and talks to you in more of a concerned loving way, something my cousin really didn't do. My cousin has disowned me and that really hurts me because we used to be pretty close. I wish you the best with you and your uncle. I do think that you are fighting a losing battle I don't think he will change his opinion about homosexuality. I think to save your relationship with your uncle that you should just let him have his opinions and not try to change them because what could end up happening is that he could decide to not even talk to you anymore. I hope this doesn't happen but some people just refuse to open their mind. good luck with everything.

8. SadConfusedBandGeek

:eusa_clap

:lol:

9. xxAngelOnFirexx

yeah you're all right and have very good points. one thing i just can't get through to people like him is that it's not something we can change. it's like when God gave a bird wings, would he then tell it not to fly? or giving someone a special talent, it wouldn't be right to tell they couldn't use it. So why should sexuality be any different? we were born likeing the same (or both) sex(es) so why shouldn't we naturally be with people of that gender? it's crazy... do they really think that we should be alone or live a life of a lie just because it's 'right'? *imagines a bird walking all the time and a painter forced to be a chef* oh, well. some peoples just can't grasp such simple concepts...

10. 24601

I came in here expecting to see a YouTube video of you on TV. :frowning2:

Haha, just kidding. Anyway...

While I don't believe in any organized religion, so to speak, I'd like to think that if there was a higher power, his number one priority would be peace on earth and happiness for everyone. The first step to achieving that is acceptance. I think organized religion is stuck in the past, and needs to realize that, over time, moral views and what's held as the truth can change, as science, technology, and science move ahead.

Homosexuality IS right, and don't let the hardcore theologians fool you. It is love, no matter who it's between, and no human being as the right to interfere. God/Jesus have always preached to love above all things, and that's just what you wish to do. In my mind, there's nothing wrong with that.

In the bible, the passages often quoted as condemning homosexuality are:

Leviticus 18:22
    “You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.”

Leviticus 20:13
    “If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act.”

Yet, in that same chapter, it also says:

Leviticus 11:11:
    "They (shellfish) shall be an abomination to you; you shall not eat their flesh, but you shall regard their carcasses as an abomination."

Leviticus 19:19:
    "...do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear material woven of two kinds of material."

Leviticus 25:44:
    "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property."

Leviticus 19:27:
    "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."

Yeah, that's not outdated at all. Anyway, back on track, if such an old, outdated, and virtually unimportant text is the sole reason for condemning homosexuality (which I'm not sure it is, but I'm pretty sure that's the main one, correct me if I'm wrong), shouldn't the "divine" word of Jesus Christ, preaching about love and acceptance and all that good stuff, far outweigh Leviticus?

It's just an excuse for close minded people to shut us out from their so god-like and perfect lives. It's a disgrace to the whole of organized religion, and one of the main reasons why I no longer believe in or have anything to do with organized religion (except when my mom makes me, ugh!).

/rant

ALL THAT BEING SAID, I think your uncle does love you, but he's a bit misled and a bit confused. Over time, I think he will accept you as another one of god's creations no matter what gender you find yourself attracted to. Just keep on fighting the true good fight, and remember that the Bible teaches you that God loves all his children no matter if they "stray" or not.

<3

Ryan

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've had these Bible discussions with people too. People seem to forget the Bible was inspired by God but written by man. They pick and choose their verses to support their own biases and lack of knowledge. Some very public people have taught me the best thing to do is say "You believe that way, I don't." Agree to disagree and leave it at that.

12. Alywishous

If homosexuality is a sin I will find that out from God when I try and go into heaven. Mankind is faulted and can't know for sure what God wants. My daddy says(yes I know very child lke but pay attention to what my loving father says), "The world is full of men that think they know God's heart...and so is hell."
    However, I will love everyone especially those that need it, which oftentimes are those that the rest of society rejects. Loving everyone is not against the Bible. If anything it is doing more than those religious bible-thumping hypocrits are doing by condemning all us "sinners" but I will try to love them anyway.
    Yes, so there is my rant for the day. I hope you and your uncle can understand each other enough to agree to disagree.

13. xxAngelOnFirexx

yeah i was thinking today about this again and i was like, God wrote the bible though man. man is not perfect. therefore man may have gotten some things God was trying to tell him wrong. Also man can be evil and he may have twisted God's word to mean what he believed was right and not what God did. You also see this in homophobes and the bible. Twisting things to say what they believe...

14. Baconjunkie123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm an Atheist, but religious peeps are cool to me, and I hate the "the bible says its wrong" card. If God Almighty made everyone perfect, then why does he say "no gay"? Bu I think religion is cool if youre not proselitizing.

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread is from 2007. Please check the year before you post..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.