1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out the wrong way?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by HoneyBeee, Sep 5, 2016.

1. HoneyBeee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there! So I'm trans, female to male and I'm currently making my way around coming out to people that I'm close to. I've recently come out to my dad, who I was putting off telling for a while because I was dreading his reaction, although the whole thing turned out to be okay. The thing is, my dad's totally fine with it, like he jokes with me and stuff about it which makes me pretty happy but then there's my mom, she knew there was something wrong when I first realized completely that I was trans, so she ended up forcing it out of me, which felt good at the time until I realized she doesn't actually know that I'm trans, she just thinks I'm confused..

Now this was a good few months ago, and she's around some of the time when my dad jokingly calls me his son and stuff like that but she doesn't say anything. I'm not quite ready to start transitioning yet so what do I do? Should I try and come out to her properly? Should I sit my mom and my dad down together and talk to them about it? Or should I wait a little longer? I just want to make things less confusing for both parties and clear some things up.

Thanks for the help, much love~ xx

2. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think that you came out wrong to your mother, especially considering that at the time it was a big step for you to say anything. I think that regardless if you are not ready to start transitioning, your parents should still be part of the dialogue in your life. I think it is a nice idea to have a conversation with the both of them about how you are feeling regarding your transition and allow for them to be less confused about the whole thing. I wish you all the luck on your journey!

3. HoneyBeee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks so much! I think I'll go with your advice and hopefully things'll turn out okay ^-^

4. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure they will. Let me know how it goes :slight_smile: